Shakes coming off of first gear

-

mangeles

Reaction score
I just replaced the catalytic converter, muffler and re-installed the missing air pump in my 225 slant six, now it shakes pretty bad when I come off of first gear. It wasn't doing that before I installed the cat and muffler. Anyone have an idea what's going on? Could it be the motor mounts or something else?

I'm afraid I can't figure out your description of the problem. Are you talking about a miss or vibration? What does "off of first gear" mean? When the car shifts from 1st to 2nd? This is an automatic I presume? I doesn't do it going from 2nd to 3rd? More info please...

I'm guessing the problem is being caused by restricted air flow due to the new Cat. It's a pain but can you put a test pipe in or the old cat if it was "Gutted". Is Nevada real strict with emissions? Here in NC we don't even have to do inspections on antiques.

If it is a standard, it could be your clutch has grease or oil on it because of a seal leak.
A stretched and worn slant six motor mount (drivers side) could be letting the engine lift as you release the clutch and making the Z bar mis guide your pressure plate and letting it engage in and out :shock: Just a thought :sad4: Mine does this some times as I take off in first gear and it douse not do it EVER! in reverse.

This could be another bad advisement from this none tech member :sign3:

Sorry for the poor description. I have a 4 speed manual and when I'm at a dead stop, release the clutch and accelerate my whole car vibrates pretty violently. It only does this when it's in 1st gear, and only when I accelerate from a dead stop. When I have it in neutral, step on the accelerator, it's fine no real vibration. When I shift to 2nd, 3rd and 4th she's fine. It's not so bad when I take off when it's cold but after it's warmed up it happens pretty regularly. I though it could be related to the clutch but when I removed all of the exhaust pipe from the manifold it ran pretty good. After I installed a new cat and a used muffler this problem occurred. I was considering removing the muffler because it was a used part. I'll check out the motor mounts and see if I can replace them. Emmission are pretty stict here in NV as I failed my smog test twice already, once for the smog pump not being there and once for a broken piece in my fuel filler neck.

A shudder taking off is usually a clutch problem but could be mounts also.

clutch is worn past servicability..I had the same issue. we lived with it for 2 years until we sold truck with that issue noted.

Sorry for the poor description. I have a 4 speed manual and when I'm at a dead stop, release the clutch and accelerate my whole car vibrates pretty violently. It only does this when it's in 1st gear, and only when I accelerate from a dead stop. When I have it in neutral, step on the accelerator, it's fine no real vibration. When I shift to 2nd, 3rd and 4th she's fine. It's not so bad when I take off when it's cold but after it's warmed up it happens pretty regularly. I though it could be related to the clutch but when I removed all of the exhaust pipe from the manifold it ran pretty good. After I installed a new cat and a used muffler this problem occurred. I was considering removing the muffler because it was a used part. I'll check out the motor mounts and see if I can replace them. Emmission are pretty stict here in NV as I failed my smog test twice already, once for the smog pump not being there and once for a broken piece in my fuel filler neck.
This is why I guessed at the exhaust restrictions because that's what was changed "right" before the problem showed up. Could also be a coincidence and be the clutch like everyone's saying.

Thanks for everyone's input. The Transmission mount was shot to the point where the bushing was slipping out. The passenger mount had the top bolt 3/4 of the way out. Replaced all but the transmission mount as I had to order it, but she runs alot better. Feels solid now. Also replaced the transfer case oil. The vibration is still there but not nearly as bad. I agree with you guys I think the clutch is shot. The p\o must have high centered her somewhere because the pan on the bottom of the (833)transfer case was missing as well, and the area where the clutch is had a bunch of dirt and oil in there. I'll change the transmission mount this weekend and have to live with the vibration for now as I'm low on cash right now. Thanks everyone!

Thanks for everyone's input. The Transmission mount was shot to the point where the bushing was slipping out. The passenger mount had the top bolt 3/4 of the way out. Replaced all but the transmission mount as I had to order it, but she runs alot better. Feels solid now. Also replaced the transfer case oil. The vibration is still there but not nearly as bad. I agree with you guys I think the clutch is shot. The p\o must have high centered her somewhere because the pan on the bottom of the (833)transfer case was missing as well, and the area where the clutch is had a bunch of dirt and oil in there. I'll change the transmission mount this weekend and have to live with the vibration for now as I'm low on cash right now. Thanks everyone!

i was under the assumption it was a car... even so i have never seen a 4 speed with a T case behind a slant lol...

pics please.....

-
Back