Shaking up the engine compartment

-

440DART1970

1970 Dart 446ci Swinger
Reaction score
Progress...Slowly but surely...now I'm preparing for the 440 .
The engine compartment is painted and Ready!
Not to bad for Krylon shaker cans when that's all you got... I first went gloss black but it looked really tacky so i went semi flat instead..

Opinions??
20170308_155848.jpg
20170308_184922.jpg
20170308_184937.jpg
20170308_193956.jpg
20170308_194017.jpg
20170308_194740.jpg

Did you have any pitted rust in the engine compartment? If so, how'd you get rid of it and what did you cover it with prior to paint?

Was originally a green CA car. Not a spot of rust anywhere.. the car was previously painted some heavy deep black primer which I was not happy with... I sat there and sanded the engine compartment by hand. I preferably like to use Krylon Shaker cans as it drys really fast and sprays really evenly with a good tip can., I used semi flat because blach gloss looked very tacky and cheap.

Looks really good man, should compliment that motor well!

I'm not looking to be numbers correct or Nos perfect with his car.. it's 's going to be a badass hot rod that's going to beat down the streets of New Jersey.. This is the 446ci motor I'm putting in it

Last edited:
i guess ill be the first one to admit it (and only since he asked for opinions, and we all know what they are like)

but to me, that seems like a wasted effort
i know your not looking for factory correct but im afraid once this is finished, it will look like a quicky flip job by a brand x person

IMHO, the only way to pull this off is by blacking out the hood, top of the fenders and cowl in order to make it look like the black out options some dusters had (and then, i think it would look better then stock, because they had the engine bay body color still)

now, keep in mind, im not knocking your skill or the effort you put forth, im simply saying, a black engine bay one a non black mopar just doesnt look right to me

(unless of course the entire car will be flat black, i will have an opinion about that aswell, but if your doing that, at least it wont look out of place)

-
Back