Sharktooth grill and 3d print. I had a thought.....

-

340wedge

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone was into 3D printing and had a thought. Could a mask for spraying the black on the fins of the Duster sharktooth grill be made? Even if the mask was only for one or two sections of the fins to be painted at a time. I think this would be a useful tool and may look into 3D printing if this is possible.

Yes get me dimensions and I can make something for you

Or if you have a small section of grill from a broken grill that would be better.

My bet is that Chrysler used some sort of mask (adhesive decal???) to mask off the area to NOT be painted.

I have seen where there is slight overspray on areas that would not be painted, so maybe they had a spray gun that was computer (they had them back then) controlled and would start stop in a pattern while the the part moved under it?

OR maybe a screen print os some kind????

Or if you have a small section of grill from a broken grill that would be better.

My bet is that Chrysler used some sort of mask (adhesive decal???) to mask off the area to NOT be painted.

I have seen where there is slight overspray on areas that would not be painted, so maybe they had a spray gun that was computer (they had them back then) controlled and would start stop in a pattern while the the part moved under it?

Sounds great. I don't have a broken piece but will get you measurements and pics. I agree they used a mask of some kind for sure.

This is a great topic for discussion guys!

I always thought the grills and other multipainted plastic trim was sourced out to another supplier. Can't see slowing down an assembly line to do this when it is easier, faster and cheaper to just install a prepainted part. Remember, Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth made these cars by the thousands.
Of course I'm just guessing here. It would be great to hear from someone who was actually there. There must be at least one member on this site that knows for sure.

Cheers!!

There were different sharks tooth grilles. Some were molded in black and painted silver. There was no blacked out fins. Otheres were molded in silver and blacked out.

Here is a grille out of a 71 Duster that was a v24 car with no black out on the hood originally. Note the grille is as it was from original . Molded in black Painted silver.

The brown car molded in silver and blacked out just like the orange 72 car next to the 71. I had several grilles through the years all years and even new .The molded in black grilles were always stronger with no cracks from the trim screws. also had different screws.. Just some info for all

Steve 063.JPG

DSCN1687.jpg

100_0155 (2).JPG

100_0144 (2).JPG

Picture 056.jpg

106_0606 - Copy.JPG

spoiler pics 777.jpg

106_0607.JPG

DSCN2530.JPG

Sounds great. I don't have a broken piece but will get you measurements and pics. I agree they used a mask of some kind for sure.
I measured the grill as best as I could with it on the car with my dial caliper. This is what I came up that hopefully isn't too confusing. Let me know what you think. Thank you!

image1.jpeg

Get ma a photo of the same spot in the car

BTW I'm ambidextrous when it comes to units.

Also if there is curvatures we will have to figure out a way to get that to me.

You might have to make a cardboard cutout that procusly fits the shape.

Lastly I would need to know what you want covered and what you want open

Get ma a photo of the same spot in the car

BTW I'm ambidextrous when it comes to units.

Also if there is curvatures we will have to figure out a way to get that to me.

You might have to make a cardboard cutout that procusly fits the shape.

Lastly I would need to know what you want covered and what you want open
Will do!

-
Back