Sharktooth Grill Question!!

-

BigWaveDave

Reaction score
Ok guys, I need some advise from you experts on the best way to repair my grill. It is in really good shape, except it has 2 hairline fractures about 2-3 inches long, one on the top lip, one on the bottom.

What is the best Glue/filler/adhesive I can use to glue the cracks together that will not split?
It was repaired once before,, looks like they used bondo,, but it cracked again so I'll need to sand the old stuff off 1st.

Please let me know,

THANKS!! :eek:

Ive done 3 grills now, go to year one and buy SEM weld, get some fine grain sand paper, and a tool that looks like a cross between a screwdriver and a file.. has a hand and shaft like a screwdriver and a file in a cone shape at the end.
use the file to scuff up the areas around the cracks, fill in with the sem weld, let it dry, sand it smooth and paint.
IF YOU SAND BLAST THE GRILL SET THE PRESSURE AS LOW AS POSSIBLE SO YOU DONOT DESTROY THE GRILL. GO TO EASTWOOD.COM FOR PAINT. ARGENT IS YOUR BEST BET!!!!

I re-did mine a couple of years ago and it worked pretty well. The adhesive above sounds like a good practical approach (I did something different, but more complicated).

For the silver paint, try this before you buy the expensive argent paint. Buy a rattle can of Rustoleum paint for plastic in the textured nickel color. Try it out on a practice piece and see what you think. Unless you are going for concourse accuracy it is a very nice light metallic color and looks great on a sharktooth grille.

I've been happy with Slo-Zap. It is a slow setting, gap filling cyano-acrylic adhesive (think of it as a cross between Crazy Glue and model airplane cement). I get it at old school hobby stores. After it sets up, it will need to be filed down and the area refinished just as with any other material.

I used Eastwoods plastic repair kit. You can even mold pieces that are broke of or missing. Takes a little practice but it has held really well so far.

Eastwood is the ****, the argent paint on their site isnt very expensive, you want it to look right so do it right. As far as SEM weld goes, its some of the best stuff out there, along with fiberglass that you use to patch boat leaks, Ive never heard of the eastwood plastic repair kit, Im going to look into this. :) :D

-
Back