Sharktooth grille info you may not know 71 340 on its own

-
Wait, I just got distracted and accidentally hijacked the thread, sorry guys. No I'm not being sarcastic

I see alot of guys taking an extreme amount of time to tape off these grilles to black them out to make them correct. But is it correct for their car. That was my point. And also I have saw over the years that the Gray grilles were always the grilles that were cracked. I just thought I would pass on what I have seen with my own eyes. I don't think they are junk. Just info that should be passed on. How you use this info is up to you. But don't condem me for sharing it. I believe info shared with me since posting this may be correct. V24 option is the key. I missed that but when looking at some of my pictures He seems to be correct.

My Duster does have the V24 option and that is the original grille Silver. Can anyone out there back this person's info. Could this be the reason. He sent me a copy of an add for 71's There is two sassy grass cars. One 340 with the V24 and a Twister. The Twister has a blacked out grille the 340 has a silver grille. They're side by side in 71 ??????

Wait, now I'm confused...are you saying that the grilles molded in black and painted all silver are the good ones which never crack, or are you saying that if it's painted black then they never crack? And the molded in black, painted all silver ones were available in the 340 cars and the rest of the cars got the junks ones? Having a hard time following the color coding here...

I'm curious cause I have a molded black, painted all silver one sitting in my basement right now. I've welded up all the cracks in it. Right now I'm on the look out for a donor grille to get the headlight mounting bezel tabs to weld back on. And it came off a Twister. Just saying...

Wait, now I'm confused...are you saying that the grilles molded in black and painted all silver are the good ones which never crack, or are you saying that if it's painted black then they never crack? And the molded in black, painted all silver ones were available in the 340 cars and the rest of the cars got the junks ones? Having a hard time following the color coding here...

I'm curious cause I have a molded black, painted all silver one sitting in my basement right now. I've welded up all the cracks in it. Right now I'm on the look out for a donor grille to get the headlight mounting bezel tabs to weld back on. And it came off a Twister. Just saying...
I am not far from you. I'll trade you a grille molded in gray for your grille molded in black. My grilles are missing nothing just cracked from age not damaged. All mounting tabs in place. I also have grilles for parts you can have what you need for free just bring yours here and show it to me. So if you really have one I would like to see it. I'll bet you don't show up.

You have replied in other post. Your not sarcastic. Send me a private message with your phone number. I will sell you a sharkstooth. I also have what ever you would need for a Duster or Demon. If your close you can stop in and look whats here. I have fenders doors trunks scoops mirrors. Dashes , and all drive train parts. all ratio rears. autos and 4 spds. I am only finishing one more 340 Duster and one 340 Demon. The rest of the parts I will sell. come with a list of what you need.. You were right about the trans. its fixed. Steve

pm sent

well, I say.....you guys keep your cracked grilles!, I put a METAL 69 valiant grille in my 72 duster.

HAHAHA.....so I guess that keeps me out of the fight lol.

but seriously, come on guys. Don't argue over something as silly as the color/strength of these grilles.

I am sure that he is right that the color does make a difference ,some change in the color may have changed the durability of the material.

I doubt that it would be year specific though and even if it was ....they probably would have introduced it mid year or so and it would have been used in more than one model year. BUT its hard saying without have worked the line or without inspecting every single model year car.

so it would probably be best to shrug your shoulders and be open to the possibility atleast and make sure to keep a look out for the black grilles if they are the better product!.

Nice collection you have there also by the way!,your sitting on a small gold mine.
The valiant grilles are real nice. I only ever had one in 30+ years and it was damaged. Very hard to find. I saw one color keyed to an orange car. The out side perimeter was left chrome. The perimeter of the inner grille was left chrome and the center grille was blacked out. It looked awsome . I thought to myself. If only the factory would have thought of that for the Twister. It would have went along with the Sizzler grille. I don't see a fight here its just members being rude to oppinions made. I've been buying and selling cars, Mostly mopars since 1973. Although I love Mopars. This crowd is the worst. You find the rudist people in this crowd. Most are ready to lose friends to grab things from one another. I guess its because the parts are alot harder to get then other makes. And the cars are harder to find for some. But not if you know people and gain their respect. I get people calling all the time. My son races a mopar sponcered sprint. Most of these guys are GM lovers. They see the mopar trailer and They're always telling us where theres a dodge or plymouth laying. I respect and entertain their thoughts and they are the same way to me. I just got another71 340 duster on a lead. and info on 2 cudas one 70 Gran Coupe hit one 74 360 no motor. Point is It dosen't pay to be sarcastic to people you don't know. You never no what they could or would do for you.

Fabo is a good place with slot of good people, but like any website ... It has it's bad apples too. You just have too take what they say with a grain of salt because Internet arguments normally snowball out of control lol.

I actually decided I wanted to go with a 69 valiant grille and a week later a fellow member sold me one that was almost mint ... Shipped for $120.00 , I lucked out but they are still out there for sale and they make dusters stand out in a crowd a bit more with the slight custom touch.

I love the shark tooth grilles but they were few and far between and expensive so I decided to go the valiant route and I am glad I did.

I need plenty of duster parts and if you have some to sell maybe you and I could do some wheelin and dealin sometime.

Anyhow, glad to have you apart of fabo here and you really could toss some grilles up for sale here and they would sell like hot cakes!

I just was told that the V24 paint option cars had the silver grilles. This was the black hood and large 340 wedge decal on hood. I knew ony 340 cars in 71 had the silver grilles I just never put it together with that paint option. He told me that when the cars with the V24 codes came down the line. The grille was not installed. The car went to another area to get the paint treatment applied. After the paint the silver grille was installed. The silver grille was a design option for the V24 option package. He also said some of these cars with this option were specified decal only. They did not get the black paint but got the decal and still had the decal and silver grille installed in the same area. I never saw th3 wedge decal on a colored hood but that doesn't meanthere not out there. Here are some more pics included is the recent 71 without that option. The whole grille was painted black by someone. also picks of the lines going to the cooler someone asked for.

Hey Steve,thank's for the info,I've got a 72 Twister and been looking for a good one,your advice will help.

I am not far from you. I'll trade you a grille molded in gray for your grille molded in black. My grilles are missing nothing just cracked from age not damaged. All mounting tabs in place. I also have grilles for parts you can have what you need for free just bring yours here and show it to me. So if you really have one I would like to see it. I'll bet you don't show up.

Dude, what are you calling me out about? I was trying to get it straight in my head what your were talking about.

First off all, take a look at this thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=72640

You see, I'm the kid's uncle. It's his grille, not mine. And even then, if he's got the better grille, according to you, why shouldn't he put this one together instead of trading it off for one of the lesser quality ones? Again, according to you. Oh, that's right. He gains a complete grille, but you get the "better" one. So magnanimous of you.

I personally pulled this one out a Twister back in the '80s.

Here's some pics for you to look over. Notice the black around the cracks? The missing tab? (There's more than one, but hey, one's good enough to make a point.) Notice it's all silver? Notice the black on the back?

View attachment 177431
View attachment 177432
View attachment 177433
View attachment 177434

As far as your offer, I'll let the kid pass on it. I doubt that you're so generous as to help a 15 year old in building his car with offering free parts off a grille, even if the grille is junk. The way you're acting on here, I don't believe you'd help someone out unless there's something in it for you. And for some reason I have a feeling, if I did make the drive with him, you'd treat him like ****.

Interesting topic. I have a v24 car built July 9th, has lots of original 1972 parts, bumpers, trunk lid and blue engine, the sharktooth is silver. The 340 Wedge decal without the orgonosal blackout is interesting. I did see one in an old advertisement for tires that had a Duster, Mach 1 and the Duster just had the decal. I guess it's possible but I bet you could buy the decal from your dealer and have had it put on.

Dude, what are you calling me out about? I was trying to get it straight in my head what your were talking about.

You see, I'm the kid's uncle. It's his grille, not mine. And even then, if he's got the better grille, according to you, why shouldn't he put this one together instead of trading it off for one of the lesser quality ones? Again, according to you. Oh, that's right. He gains a complete grille, but you get the "better" one. So magnanimous of you.

Here's some pics for you to look over. Notice the black around the cracks? The missing tab? (There's more than one, but hey, one's good enough to make a point.) Notice it's all silver? Notice the black on the back?

View attachment 177431
View attachment 177432
View attachment 177433
View attachment 177434

As far as your offer, I'll let the kid pass on it. I doubt that you're so generous as to help a 15 year old in building his car with offering free parts off a grille, even if the grille is junk. The way you're acting on here, I don't believe you'd help someone out unless there's something in it for you. And for some reason I have a feeling, if I did make the drive with him, you'd treat him like ****.

well hes helped me out im happy

View attachment 177431
View attachment 177432
View attachment 177433
View attachment 177434

I am really sorry I came off like that.I really thought you were screwin with me like the chemist. The cracks I am talking about are not where your's is damaged. They are usually cracked on the top inside the parking lights from the chrome back. What it is from is I beleve the gray grilles get alittle hard from age. And when mechanics would work on these cars they would lean on the front end in the middle causing the grille to crack . The black ones do not crack there. By the looks of your pics yours is not. It looks as though your grille was damaged. That orange duster pictured is my sons. He started on that when he was 13yrs old. I do not have a problem helping you with your car. And I would keep my word on the free parts for his grille. I will not charge him or you for what you need off of broken grilles. Or small parts that are not 340 specific. I have more than enough to go around for drivers. I will not ship to people buying parts . I want them to see first hand what there buying. I also will not sell multiple items to the same person. I did that at Carlisle and walked around and saw my items forsale for more than double. I will help guys with there builds but not to resell. If I believe there a vender I'll throw em off the patch. I also have stacks of rims for grilles I picked through. Some just need to be cleaned. I have all mint rims aside for me. since your grille was broke like that on the ends it could have been replaced. The grilles pulled were never taken out of the car. I was the first to turn the screws or remove the upper clips. Again sorry for the mouth. Steve

I need some real hard to find parts for my 340 demon that i bet you don't even have. how about a choke stove Big # 75 stamped on it, Idle solinoid with the correct delco remy #'s on it, original aluminum spacer that sat under the t-quad? let me know. Thanks

you wouldnt happen to have a duster tail panel would ya? rather it be a 70/71 or a 72.

also lower rear quarter patch panels?

glove box liner?

side marker lenses?

go wing spoiler?

a blue 43 tooth speedo gear?

I am sure I need other odds and ends.

I figured you have quite the stock pile and its atleast worth asking and maybe your up for coming off of some of the parts if you have them.

My duster and I are in this decembers mopar muscle magazine in the young guns section and they said they would be interested in doing a follow up story on the duster when the restore is finished so I have been trying to get ducks in a row and scrounge up some needed parts.

sorry, not trying to hijack the thread or anything here, Just send me a PM if you happen to have anything.

, THANKS

I am really sorry I came off like that.I really thought you were screwin with me like the chemist. The cracks I am talking about are not where your's is damaged. They are usually cracked on the top inside the parking lights from the chrome back. What it is from is I beleve the gray grilles get alittle hard from age. And when mechanics would work on these cars they would lean on the front end in the middle causing the grille to crack . The black ones do not crack there. By the looks of your pics yours is not. It looks as though your grille was damaged. That orange duster pictured is my sons. He started on that when he was 13yrs old. I do not have a problem helping you with your car. And I would keep my word on the free parts for his grille. I will not charge him or you for what you need off of broken grilles. Or small parts that are not 340 specific. I have more than enough to go around for drivers. I will not ship to people buying parts . I want them to see first hand what there buying. I also will not sell multiple items to the same person. I did that at Carlisle and walked around and saw my items forsale for more than double. I will help guys with there builds but not to resell. If I believe there a vender I'll throw em off the patch. I also have stacks of rims for grilles I picked through. Some just need to be cleaned. I have all mint rims aside for me. since your grille was broke like that on the ends it could have been replaced. The grilles pulled were never taken out of the car. I was the first to turn the screws or remove the upper clips. Again sorry for the mouth. Steve

Well, then, Steve, I'll accept your apology and hope we can start fresh.

As for the origin of the grille: Was it replaced? The cracks I showed you the pics of are just a few. There are more, but I'd rather wait for the kid to post those pics in his build thread once the grille has been restored.

It's a very real possibility that the grille may have been warrantied or some such. I remember the car was gone, from end to the other, rusted evenly and pretty much everywhere. Since the car has long been turned into several Hondas and they've long since been recycled into Toyotas there's no way for anyone to verify this. What I know is that we happened on the sharktooth when the car it's been in for the past several years was a daily driver for my family way back when. The price was right: free. No weight in plastic and the car was being shipped to the shredder.

I will agree that abuse has taken it's toll on this grille. Scrappers aren't easy on things and from appearances of the car itself neither were the owners. I did weld up one crack where you're talking about. At this point, though, more than likely it's from abuse.

Now, on to your offer. I apologize if I came off a little harsh. I've had a big hand in raising the kid. He's my nephew, but a son to me, and I'm as protective as most fathers. If you're willing to help the kid out, give him a PM here. His screenname is dodgepower, but we call him Jamison. Once you touch base with him we can get you pics of what's missing.

Thank you.

Stirring the pot...My late build '71 340 with the original grill was molded in grey, and it was "the" original grill, as I personally know the original owner. I have replaced with an NOS grill I have purchased some 15 years ago, the NOS is also molded in grey. I agree that some were molded in black (the earlier ones), thus likelier a '71 340 Duster only grill, as Twisters came later.

I agree with both you fellows "oldmanmopar" and "crackedback", hope this sheds some light.

Stirring the pot...My late build '71 340 with the original grill was molded in grey, and it was "the" original grill, as I personally know the original owner. I have replaced with an NOS grill I have purchased some 15 years ago, the NOS is also molded in grey. I agree that some were molded in black (the earlier ones), thus likelier a '71 340 Duster only grill, as Twisters came later.

I agree with both you fellows "oldmanmopar" and "crackedback", hope this sheds some light.
Did your duster come with the V24 option look on your data plate.
I just was told that the V24 paint option cars had the silver grilles. This was the black hood and large 340 wedge decal on hood. I knew ony 340 cars in 71 had the silver grilles I just never put it together with that paint option. He told me that when the cars with the V24 codes came down the line. The grille was not installed. The car went to another area to get the paint treatment applied. After the paint the silver grille was installed. The silver grille was a design option for the V24 option package. He also said some of these cars with this option were specified decal only. They did not get the black paint but got the decal and still had the decal and silver grille installed in the same area. I never saw the wedge decal on a colored hoods but that doesn't mean they're not out there. It looks as if your car has a painted hood. did it have a 340 wedge decal? If it did it should have V24 on the data plate.

-
Back