She wont turn over

-

ESLmakesNOISE

1974 Plymouth Scamp 318
Reaction score
So....Turn the key...nothing.

We figured out that if we stuck a screwdriver in the starter relay that it somehow made the right connection and the car fires right up. Starter relay has been replaced, same problem.

Tried replacing the neutral safety switch since the plug had a crack in it....same problem. :sad1:

I am assuming since we can get it started that the starter itself is not the problem. Any suggestions?

sounds like its an automatic. did you try it in neutral? maybe linkage needs adjustment if not all the way in park. sounds simple but i have had it happen with an engine swap.

Well try actually troubleshooting it. Your starter relay has 4 connections. Big stud is the battery, square exposed screw goes to starter solenoid, so you should be able to short across those two exposed terminals and cause the starter to run.

If it does, this means the cables to the starter, and the starter/ solenoid are OK

Now get a meter/ test lamp. Pull the two push on connectors off and put your test lamp in one of the disconnected wires. Turn the key to "start" and see if you get a light.

If not try the opposite wire. If either of those give you a light with the key in "start" OK Hook that wire back up to EITHER of the push on connectors on the start relay.

Now take a clip lead and GROUND the remaining exposed terminal on the start relay.

Try the key---engine should crank

If so, you have a problem in the neutral safety switch, the wiring or connections to it, or something wrong with the mechanism inside the transmission

If it does NOT crank, it is probably a bad starter relay

Check all the connections to the coil then get a test light to put to the hot side of your coil. With the switch on, see if it lights up. That will show that the coil is getting power.

I'm guessing you have a dead switch in the column???

I would guess ignition switch, but the testing described above would confirm that. It's a start relay so it needs power, ground and a way to energize it's field. You obviously have power and ground since jumping the relay cranked it. One of the smaller wires is switched power that comes on when you turn the ignition switch to start. Use your test light to make sure this is happening. My guess is that it is not and the ignition switch or wiring to it has failed.

What are you working on ?
74 model has a seat belt interlock that causes this bo start condition.

What are you working on ?
74 model has a seat belt interlock that causes this bo start condition.

74 Scamp. We did make sure to have the belt buckled when we were trying to start it.

I haven't had much time to spend out in the garage, so I haven't tried anything yet, but I appreciate all of your suggestions and it gives me a direction to go in!

-
Back