Shear Nuts

-

bighammer

Reaction score
I'm not sure where I would want, or need, to use these, but they're new to me, and what a great idea for tamper resistant nut / bolt hardware: [ame]http://youtu.be/9U0CmQA2gcA[/ame] Check out the video

So, no disassembly or repairs after that sucker is in place...
C

So, no disassembly or repairs after that sucker is in place...
C

Correct. Understand that these are made to be used in situations where removal for disassembly or repair is not required. For example, a mounting plate.

But, they can be removed if absolutely necessary.

If you have access to both sides of the fastener, you can use a vise grip to grip the nut, and a wrench or screw drive to turn the bolt of screw.

Another what is to grind two flat spots into the nut, and use an open end wrench on it.

If you do not have access to the screw or bolt head, you can grind two flat spots into the nut, for an open end wrench, and grasp the threaded portion of the bolt/screw with a vice grip. Once the nut is loose, you simply unscrew it.

I've also seen people cut a slot into the threaded end of the screw/bolt, so to use a flat blade screw driver.

We used these a lot where I worked.
Unless you wanted to screw around all day a torch
was the answer for removal.
A little red Loctite and they were stuck for good.

I know where to use those! At my job. I work in a prison and we have tried every possible solution to prevent the inmates from getting things apart. So far every type of security fastener they can and will somehow get loose. Not saying this wouldnt come loose either but its a good anti deterrent.

They have used something similar in the diesel truck industry in the fuel injection syst. (called tamper proof fasteners). used for warranty purposes so you could tell if a fuel pump had been turned up (hot rodded).

-
Back