She's HOME....

-

65_valiant

Reaction score
The car has been sitting for the last 15ish years. I've had a plan to go get it from storage garage "next week" for the last several years.... we all know how that story goes.
Finally got fed up with myself repeating that and went and picked the old gal up. Dragged it out of the garage with a chain and an ATV, lol.
This won't be a restoration really. More of a "just get the damned thing going again" build. It last ran back in 2008 time frame. Shouldn't really take to terrible much to get it going again. Definitely needs a Trans rebuild and a rear end swap, no sense in spending the money to rebuild the 7.25 when an 8.8 or, if I'm lucky enough an 8.75, can be built for just a shade more.
The entire wiring will be replaced, not a chance I trust ANY of the current stock wiring after sitting in a farm field for a year and a less than frequented garage for the rest.

On to the pics that we all must have.

Attachments

• 20151204_154702.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 540
  • 20151204_193039.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 516
  • 20151204_224933.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 540
Good ,for you... Always enjoy/enjoyed bring vintage Detroit iron,back to life. How well did the rocker panels & floor pans,hold up?

Nice, Looks like very little rust for sitting that long.

"just get the damned thing going again" build huh? We ALL know how that goes - no matter, nice to see you've grabbed the ol' bull by it's horns and decided to get 'er going!!

- Looks like you've got an ATV tow vehicle. The thrill a person feels when you first see it rolling again (after years of sitting) is almost as big as when it finally hits the road. Now that the archaeological dig is over, get that dinosaur running!!

Good ,for you... Always enjoy/enjoyed bring vintage Detroit iron,back to life. How well did the rocker panels & floor pans,hold up?

The rockers and floors are solid from what I could see. Luckily the car has great undercoating still. I don't expect to have any repairs needed since it only sat on dirt for right around a year, the rest of the time was on the concrete garage floor. It does, and always has, needed lower rear quarters along with the inside of the same area. Are they called trunk extentions? Some minor pin hole rusting above the rear wheels and driver side fender bottom.
I also suspect there is a rusted cowling, but I haven't really dug into the cause of the passenger side under dash leak. Hopefully just leaves built up around the fresh air opening causing the water to leak in.

"just get the damned thing going again" build huh? We ALL know how that goes - no matter, nice to see you've grabbed the ol' bull by it's horns and decided to get 'er going!!
Lol, it has to start with at least some sort of goal doesn't it?!
But really, we'll be a single income household for the next few years while our boy starts half day preschool so the project cash will be last priority. Just to get it running and driveable again, while being reliable and trustworthy, i'm estimating a few grand. After that, the motor and chassis work begins. Nothing incredible in the plans, but enough to make some newer mustangs and camaro to question if the should play with the old steel.:burnout:

Nice - looking forward to seeing your progress!
Lol, it has to start with at least some sort of goal doesn't it?!
But really, we'll be a single income household for the next few years while our boy starts half day preschool so the project cash will be last priority. Just to get it running and driveable again, while being reliable and trustworthy, i'm estimating a few grand. After that, the motor and chassis work begins. Nothing incredible in the plans, but enough to make some newer mustangs and camaro to question if the should play with the old steel.:burnout:

Well... some unexpected findings. The front frame rails are rusted. Right where they bend up from the floor is rusted through along the bottom inside egde. I don't think it's a game ender, but what do you guys think? I'll follow up with some more pics here in a few hours, for now here's just a few.

Attachments

• 20151205_225909.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 347
  • 20151205_225856.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 327
Depends on what you want to build. Just as a slanty driver you can weld plates on them. If you are picky like me replace them. I have used rails in my barn for just that reason.

Its deaf not going to be a /6 car. Guess I'll have to really look into how bad the fronts are and really get a good look at the torsion bar mounts and rear rails.
already got the eng/trans pulled.

I crawled around under the car yesterday and it will need both of the front rails under the fire wall replaced/repaired and I found the driver side torsion bar mount is going to need some attention as well.

With these things being a pretty important piece of the puzzle, where are some recommended shops that will do the work in the Wichita area? I would love to do it myself, but I'm not sure I have the skill to do so.

-
Back