Shift improver kits B&M and Transgo.

-

75Brougham

75Brougham
Reaction score
Most of us prefer the durability, control, and overall function of manual shift transmissions. I prefer them myself, however I recently installed a B&M shift kit in my 904 torqueflite (75 Valiant, slant 6). Let me tell you, for the cost ($90) it was worth every penny. This kit recalibrates fluid pressure, giving my car almost the feeling of driving a four speed stick. Not only do I get more performance, as far as response and speed, the gas mileage has improved too. Now, I want some opinions about these kits (if you have used them, you'll know how great an improvement they make on automatic transmissions). An automatic with a shift kit definitely outperforms one without, but how does it compare to an actual standard trans? Many pros and cons, just wondering what you all think!

It's not easy to compare apples to oranges but here goes.

Automatics are almost always faster unless you can shift like Ronnie Sox. They are more user friendly (i.e. not everyone knows how to drive a stick shift).

Stick shifts generally get better fuel economy. Some people prefer to drive a stick even though an automatic is easier (my Dad always went with a stick car but I'm an automatic guy). Stick shifts don't require a shift kit to bark the tires when shifting.

Those are just a couple pro's/cons off the top of my head

-
Back