Shift improver kits

-

85glht

Reaction score
Are they worth it?? While my transmission pan is down, should I install one? 340 auto (obviously) 3:23 rear geared. Engine is near stock (purple cam, whatever that spec is). Plan is to upgrade the heads when funds are available. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

They help. Not perfect of course. I have gone to the mind set “shift improver” over “shift kit” The lower the rear gears the more impact (I believe) it makes.
Syleng1

Yes, indeed so, I agree. The MP shift improved kit is something I have used in the past. A cheap and easy modification that can be knocked out pretty quickly is an OK mod that won’t be an annoyance while driving around and provides a firmer shift.

It is not a shift kit that hammer slams the gear change feel but it will be noticed and even more so as the gear ratio moves numerically higher.

I suggest it use.

Decades ago I installed a B&M kit. THe shifts were crisp when I driven easy but you get on it and it would squawk second gear. It was fun.
Get a kit that fills the converter in neutral if you need that.

I agree with all of the guys above. I have been using the B&M kit for over 40 years now.
Still remember installing my first in a 69 R/T back in 1976.My last is in my car now year 2022.
Easy to install.I remove the valve body and work on the bench.
It gives you a good 1-2 shift that can bark the tires IF that is what you want.
The kit has 2 settings one a bit softer,depending on your needs.
Tho there are other brands out there B&M is my brand.

Any particular brand and reputable vendor? mind you, it's a 65 transmission... seems like everything I see is 66 and up :rolleyes:

Any particular brand and reputable vendor? mind you, it's a 65 transmission... seems like everything I see is 66 and up :rolleyes:
I've used several of the various types and settled on the Fairbanks kit. Some of the simple improver kits are nothing more than a new separator plate. I just put a Fairbanks kit into my 72 Challenger. Like said above, you likely will want a kit that has several levels based on your desired results. I selected the heavy duty/street level. While the valve body is out, do get the manual shift valve that prevents converter drainback. It is inexpensive and works.

TF-2 all the way
For me it was mandatory with 3.23s 727 L-60-14 26.99 tall with both the gk243@50 cam and the street hemi cam never should have taken the gk cam out. With 3.23s 1st gear is needed to 55 to 60 plus mph depending on tire height
You want to be able pop in 1st@ 35 mph and punch it or you will be a dog until 55 mph.
You should install the manual low at any rpm its like driving a different car when you have bigger cams and 3.23s
pulling down into 1st and punching it at 40 mph leaves a smile everytime 2nd gear chirp @63 mph on the hi-way :)
3.23s about 10mphx1000 rpm in 1st gear depending on tire height

I've used several of the various types and settled on the Fairbanks kit. Some of the simple improver kits are nothing more than a new separator plate. I just put a Fairbanks kit into my 72 Challenger. Like said above, you likely will want a kit that has several levels based on your desired results. I selected the heavy duty/street level. While the valve body is out, do get the manual shift valve that prevents converter drainback. It is inexpensive and works.
So, I would have to shift the gear change all the time with this set up?? Having the Anti-drain back is appealing as one of my shift cables leak due to this.

So, I would have to shift the gear change all the time with this set up?? Having the Anti-drain back is appealing as one of my shift cables leak due to this.
no put it in drive it shifts perfect 1 2 3
just gives you manual 1st at any rpm

Yes, Trans-Go TF2 all the way. TF3 is the standard pattern full manual kit

-
Back