shift kit

-

/6 Matt

30 Degrees Crooked
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm calling around for quotes to get my /6 904 rebuilt and I wanna go ahead and get a shift kit to put in it. Im lookin at transgo products.

Whats the difference between TF-1 and TF-2? Which would be better suited for a 100% street car application?

Hey guys,
I'm calling around for quotes to get my /6 904 rebuilt and I wanna go ahead and get a shift kit to put in it. Im lookin at transgo products.

Whats the difference between TF-1 and TF-2? Which would be better suited for a 100% street car application?

Either one will work fine for the street. I think it is now a combo kit and you make the decision for it to be either a dash 1 or dash 2 kit. It will tell you how in the instructions.

At one time, the TF-2 was for race/hd/towing applications.

As transman said their really both fine for the street. I haven't seen them listed as a combo kit, at least not where I've looked lately. The TF-1 kit offers a little firmer shift than stock and improved lubrication to make your trans last longer. It's perfect for a stock rebuild IMO. The TF-2 kit offers a little firmer shift (although that is tailorable) and more manual control. By your description the TF-1 kit should do you just fine.

Oh Matt, c'mon, rebuild it yourself. You know you can. You've been involved everywhere else.

As transman said their really both fine for the street. I haven't seen them listed as a combo kit, at least not where I've looked lately. The TF-1 kit offers a little firmer shift than stock and improved lubrication to make your trans last longer. It's perfect for a stock rebuild IMO. The TF-2 kit offers a little firmer shift (although that is tailorable) and more manual control. By your description the TF-1 kit should do you just fine.
Is there a way to tailor the shift kits to get rid of the "goes back to low at any speed" feature? That just seems like an accident waiting to happen on the interstate.

Oh Matt, c'mon, rebuild it yourself. You know you can. You've been involved everywhere else.
Well I would do it myself, but I dont have time. I could see myself spending at least 4 weeks on that project and the dart is the only car I own so its my DD. I've had a hard enough time finding rides to work the past week. I do have another 904 that I do plan to rebuild myself later down the road and build it a little better with a deep sump aluminum pan with a drain plug and provisions for a temp sending unit.

Is there a way to tailor the shift kits to get rid of the "goes back to low at any speed" feature? That just seems like an accident waiting to happen on the interstate.

Yeah, don't do the shift command mod. If you look in the instructions it's optional.

BTW: there's some confusion on how the shift command feature works. The only way it'll go back to low gear down the hwy is if you shift the shifter down in low. The standard shift rpm speed is still controlled by the governor and not affected by the shift command mod.

Yeah, don't do the shift command mod. If you look in the instructions it's optional.

BTW: there's some confusion on how the shift command feature works. The only way it'll go back to low gear down the hwy is if you shift the shifter down in low. The standard shift rpm speed is still controlled by the governor and not affected by the shift command mod.

Sweet! Thats what Im gonna do then. In a family car like this I could just imagine a niece or nephew jerking me down into first going 70 lol!

-
Back