Shift kits

-

Hell_Fish

Reaction score
Friday and Saturday I cleaned the A904 and installed a TransGo reprograming kit. I used the TF-1 kit and found that the kit is better suited for a 727. By that I mean that with a 60-65 A904, you use very few parts. In all I drilled 3 holes. 2 holes enlarged the passages for the 1-2 and 2-3 shift and one removed a barrier. Added 2 washer shims, 3 springs and the filter and filter gasket. The kit seems like a good kit, but only using 10% of the parts make the cost a little hard to justify. Hopefully I did it correctly. The kit is meant for a pro to install and not a shadetree guy like me, but I think I got it right. The only part I could not do was the modification to the valve body valve to allow downshifing at any speed. Maybe I will pick up another valve from the junk yard and have it machined. I didn't replace the rear band spring either. The instructions said, if it doesn't fit reuse the original, so I figured I would leave it as is with only a 50% success rate.

Anyone else have experiance with a 64-65 904 and a shift kit?

Just went thru this myself with my 69 904 and a TF-1 kit. Very few parts from kit actually used, and extremely vauge instructions. I assembled and reassembled my VB probably 5 times before I was satisfied that I had it right. It did firm up the shifts substantially, but it DID NOT alter the shift points much. That has more to do with the govenor weights and the line pressure.

Im with you on this one, I felt a little ripped off after I realized that I could have done all these mods myself without spending 50 bucks on the kit. Oh well, I know how to do it next time!

If youre looking for neck snapping shifts, be sure to block the accumilator piston to the top of the bore any way you see fit. I did not on my trans; street only duty.

-
Back