shift lever hitting kickdown

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am installing a B & M Z Gate in my 62 Lancer. I have the cable installed , when the shift lever goes by the kickdown the linkage pins hit each other. Anyone had this happen? The shorter, straighter shift lever provided with the kit is within a 1/4" of the throttle pressure lever.

This can happen when the shift arm isn't down on the shaft all the way; or when the kd arm is pushed down too far on its shaft; or either one is bent towards the other. A dangerous situation; because you could rev it in park or neutral and have it jump into gear.

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow, it looks like the shift lever is down as far as it can go
I didn't think the kd could go on to far. They both move freely.

I am going to try bending KD some, surprised they use such a flat arm the original arm bends 3/4" down. As is the KD just scrapes the shift lever.

IMG_20200822_091006901.jpg

IMG_20200822_091112544.jpg

What year is the tranny? I have lots of levers if u need 1. Short, long, rise up and the some like urs. It will approx 2 Weekes by mail. Kim

I have 2 arms 1 from a 71 Dart and 1 from a 72 Dart. They are exactly the same. I tried sliding the KD up until it could go no farther , but that was not enough, still would need about 3/8". The B&M info has the pivot on top of the arm,which needs more room. With the KD flat which would be real close the arm would probably hit the floor at the top of its arc. Mine is a 62 Lancer and the throttle pedal mount is right there. I did a lot of searching in forums and on Google and cant find anyone who has had this problem. Might call B&M this week. this is all I have left to take her for 1st ride...

cut and rewelded mine to adjust the position. looks like crap, but it works :)

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Bend the arm to clear and be done with it. Your making more of it than it needs to be.
I thought the same thing. Bent the KD up until it cleared, had to make a small adjustment to the floor to get it all to work.

What year is your car? You have a lot more room there then in my Lancer. It looks like I bent mine abou the amount you changed yours
68' valiant. ya, compared to a 62' i've got a ton of room
DSC01466.JPG

Nice car! Mine is a little more Roadkill, the driver floor needs repair anyway so the adjustment was easy...

Nice car! Mine is a little more Roadkill, the driver floor needs repair anyway so the adjustment was easy...
:lol:
i don't have the interior in yet so i'm seriously thinking of doing an access panel for that stuff :)

-
Back