Shift Points (904 Auto)

-

LJS30

Reaction score
Well my friend and I got my edelbrock intake and carb in, tuned it, and man it runs sharp. However at first it was taking much too long to shift into third so he adjusted a linkage right at the tranny. Well, now it's shifting into third too quickly and not allowing my engine to rev for some good fun. Are we going about this wrong with the adjustments or should I just go down there and tweak it until it shifts where I like?

You need to adjust the kickdown linkage at the carb; the slotted end of the rod should be threaded onto the end. Unhook that and rotate it a few turns to lengthen the rod which should make the shift points later (or vice versa).

You need to adjust the kickdown linkage at the carb; the slotted end of the rod should be threaded onto the end. Unhook that and rotate it a few turns to lengthen the rod which should make the shift points later (or vice versa).

Cool I'll do that tomorrow. Could I burn the tranny if I drive it as is?

Back step any adjustments at the tranny, until get a book.

I have an Dodge Chassis Manual for my car but it doesn't quite explain in too much detail. Any more detail that you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

yes you could fry the trans without the kickdown properly adjusted. trust me i did it all on my own once.

I was afraid of that. I'm a little freaked out now about screwing something up and am tempted to take it to a professional to adjust.

do you have the carb adapter for a mopar and edelbrock carb?

Its a simple adjustment. At Wide open throttle you want the linkage to go as far back as it possibly can, without effecting your wide open throttle (ie. only letting you get 90% throttle). also make sure the spring is on the linkage that pulls it forward towards the front end of the vehicle.

do you have the carb adapter for a mopar and edelbrock carb?

You know what I think you're right man. Check these photos out and let me know what you think.

396045585.jpg

396045557.jpg

I have to admit that I haven't messed with that kind of setup in over 30 years but that looks backwards to me. Maybe it's just the angle or things pivot differently than I'm picturing it in my head. Does the whole throttle arm pivot up & back? The attachment for the kickdown just looks wrong to me....

I have to admit that I haven't messed with that kind of setup in over 30 years but that looks backwards to me. Maybe it's just the angle or things pivot differently than I'm picturing it in my head. Does the whole throttle arm pivot up & back? The attachment for the kickdown just looks wrong to me....

I'm starting to think that also. However what adapter do I need to make this thing right? I'm on the Edelbrock site but cannot find what in heck I need.

its the chrystler throttle adapter. cant remember the part number but it just bolts on the side of the linkage using the existing holes where you have you cable and kickdown attached. very simple. auto zone where im at keeps them in stock for 15 buck.

its the chrystler throttle adapter. cant remember the part number but it just bolts on the side of the linkage using the existing holes where you have you cable and kickdown attached. very simple. auto zone where im at keeps them in stock for 15 buck.

I'm on it!!!!!!!!!!!!:headbang:

looks to me like the kick down is being pulled instead of pushed during acceleration. the adapter places the kickdown above the pivot point so when you give it throttle it pushes the lever back.

and def need the spring to pull the kick down rod foward . i did mine like yours not knowing and it wouldn shift past 2nd.

and def need the spring to pull the kick down rod foward . i did mine like yours not knowing and it wouldn shift past 2nd.

My issue is when I really lean on it my trans quickly goes to first, second, then third and bogs. This did not happen when I had the T-Quad on so I know it's something I screwed up. Man I hate it when I goof things up.

not having the rod getting pushed back is the early shiftin issue. that somehow controls the pump pressure i THINK. if you can hook that rod up up above the pivot point and get a spring that will reach from where the rod attaches at the back of the engine and pulls it foward to the front of the intake it should fix that. mine is a red spring its the factory spring and it hooks to the throttle arm that the rod rides on the carb. def need the adapter.

Don't know if it can be done with what you have because I don't know how things bolted together. You need to have the little arm that your kickdown rod is attached to pointing up instead of down. Either that or another bracket there, maybe the one I posted above, I don't know for sure. The kickdown attaches to the same piece it's attached to now, just at a higher point on the throttle arm. The throttle cable should also hook to the opposite end of that same piece. Hope that makes sense. Maybe somebody here has a picture..

-
Back