Shift Selector Shaft Seal Remover tool

-

2kids

Reaction score
Hey,
Any one have a Shift Selector Shaft Seal Remover-Installer they'd care to loan, rent or sell? Like the one in this pic...It's just such a specialty tool I won't use much.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...1&d=1222737857

I'm trying to make my life easier replacing the seal and I've heard these are very helpful.

For my 904 tranny.

Thanks!
2kids

you can do it without the tool. not hard. let me find another post about it....
your link's not working and i can't find the post i was thinking about.
anyway, a service manual is a big help...

"MANUAL LEVER SHAFT SEAL
1)the seal can be replaced without removing the valve body by using a small screwdriver to pry the seal out of it's bore. be careful not to scratch the shaft or the seal bore.
2)drive in new seal with a 15/16 in socket and hammer"
if you do remove the valve body, you can drive it out from the bottom with a small punch.
either way, clean everything real good first. you can also drop the trans mount and lower the tail shaft a couple inches to get a little more room if needed but usually the exhaust is the what's in the way.

good luck

sorry about the link not working - here's a picture of the tool

Attachments

• shift shaft tool.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 623
I've replaced them with a small screwdriver and a socket. Use the screwdriver
as a pry bar. then the socket as the driver. Small hammer, just tap it in. It's
just a little bit of a hassle in the car. But no biggie.

History on my 67..
A few years ago it was the selector shaft seal and dipstick O ring that were leaking. I dropped the pan and the valve body. Selector shaft seal replace was too easy that way. Band adjust, etc.. everything fine.
The front seal has been leaking for more than a year now. No surprise though. The seals are all the same age afterall. Good luck with yours

ok, i just printed and scaned the PDF page for anyone interested

Attachments

• shift lever seal.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 377
-
Back