Shifter Cable for hurst shifter installation

-

67DodgeDart360

Reaction score
Hi, does any know what bracket or bolts I need to install this shifter cable to lever? I’m putting a automatic hurst shifter in. And is it set up right? Thanks

C71BCB70-5E33-4BF8-A915-DFF7185F8640.jpeg

A01DFDDE-E0F4-47FE-AB88-B0EEEB615859.jpeg

1B45349B-564E-4FF8-A3F9-BA0C741F1986.jpeg

2861D741-09FF-45F5-AE40-436115CDA19E.jpeg

BF79902C-6F3C-4EDD-9704-84BDF14D6062.jpeg

6B4B7C14-6BD3-45E4-9F80-F593B09AD903.jpeg

FA31E89A-DEEE-471A-BB2F-AE84B36160F4.jpeg

EDCA929E-D976-476D-B372-FAC8771EEBD7.jpeg

The plate that mounts to the transmission pan & holds the cable, is more of a 90 deg. bend on mine, & there should be a piece that threads onto the end of the cable & attaches to the shift linkage bracket hole via a washer & cotter pin, otherwise it looks ok to me. I have a Hurst 1/4 stick but should be the exact same. I THINK my instructions say to hook everything up with tranny & shifter in neutral, then check the operation of the shifter.

Yep, the right bracket is a 90 bend so the bracket is straight up so it lines the cable up with the linkage.
You could probably bend that one if you don't have the right one.

Hi, does any know what bracket or bolts I need to install this shifter cable to lever? I’m putting a automatic hurst shifter in. And is it set up right? Thanks

View attachment 1715532049

View attachment 1715532050

View attachment 1715532053

View attachment 1715532054

View attachment 1715532060

View attachment 1715532061

View attachment 1715532062

View attachment 1715532065

I think there's a right angle fittings that the threaded rod screws in and mounts to the lever. I try and take a picture of mine. As if I remember right the bracket that bolts under the pan looks like it's at the correct angle. I have a Promatic 2 in my car.

If you go right to the Hurst site there are parts lists and illustrations that show what you need. This stuff is proprietary to Hurst. I don't remember "but I bet" the transmission lever has to be Hurst as well, and not stock Mopar

The bracket bolted to the trans pan may be at an angle because there are no washers under it to space it level! You would need at least 2 washers under each and slightly longer bolts. But be careful so the one doesn't bottom out against the neutral safety switch.

To elaborate on one part niceolddart described.....it's a round, stepped part. The bigger diameter lower step is threaded for the end of the threaded cable end. When properly positioned (with the trans in neutral), the smaller diameter upper part fits down (I believe) through the hole in the shifter arm. It's secured with a cotter pin and washer under it.

If you bought it used, hopefully it was for a Torqueflite because GM versions are a bit different.

I believe the #8 cable pivot is universal and the missing part. But it's actually a little stubbier than the drawing implies.

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/500/530/530-316-0009.pdf

I also think your missing the two thick washers that go between the bracket and the pan, so when you tighten the bolts the lip on the edge of the pan is making the bracket lean outward.

Here are some pictures
20200521_131158_resized.jpg
20200521_131137_resized.jpg
20200521_131233_resized.jpg

The last picture is pretty rough but it shows the spacer

Do you have 2 washers between the pan and the bracket? that should straighten it out. Then the part into the shifter arm goes down with the cotter pin at the bottom. Once the bracket is properly spaced/straightened, the angle will be better to insert from the top. Trying to hold it down in place while holding a washer underneath before inserting the cotter pin is a PITA. But that's the way it goes.

The part at the end of the cable should slide in & out of the shift lever very easily with the shifter and transmission in neutral and cable end adjusted properly.

Do you have 2 washers between the pan and the bracket? that should straighten it out. Then the part into the shifter arm goes down with the cotter pin at the bottom. Once the bracket is properly spaced/straightened, the angle will be better to insert from the top. Trying to hold it down in place while holding a washer underneath before inserting the cotter pin is a PITA. But that's the way it goes.

The part at the end of the cable should slide in & out of the shift lever very easily with the shifter and transmission in neutral and cable end adjusted properly.

It has the spacers that clear the lip on the pan, even so the bracket isn't a right angle so it does stick out some as shown in the 1st picture.

Look how the cable wants to go and where it points right now.
The bracket needs to be straight up and down.
The bracket you have there now is for GM and Ford where the linkages are on the far outside of the trans.

I have that exact shifter and it came with all the brackets, one like yours and one straight up.
You should be able to bend that one straight up and have it work fine.

As Mile High's pic shows, you need this and the little lock nut not shown, but you can get that at Ace Hardware, Home depot or Tractor Supply.

s-l640.jpg

Hurst Quarter Stick Q Stick Shifter Shift Cable Pivot Adjuster 1940005 1940006 for sale online | eBay

It has the spacers that clear the lip on the pan, even so the bracket isn't a right angle so it does stick out some as shown in the 1st picture.

Sorry to derail this thread but has anyone used this shifter with the centre console as I’m looking to purchase from summit 67 Dart is the car . I’m thinking the shifter once mounted might be too short . I was looking at the 3838510 which has the taller shifter handle 15.5 inch compare to the 5.5 inch. Not sure of the standard shifter height as I don’t want to be leaning forward while shifting even though it’s a ratchet Fmvb Thank you .

F5C6EC5D-7F5B-4588-A39F-2202E262F2F8.jpeg

Sorry to derail this thread but has anyone used this shifter with the centre console as I’m looking to purchase from summit 67 Dart is the car . I’m thinking the shifter once mounted might be too short . I was looking at the 3838510 which has the taller shifter handle 15.5 inch compare to the 5.5 inch. Not sure of the standard shifter height as I don’t want to be leaning forward while shifting even though it’s a ratchet Fmvb Thank you .

View attachment 1715648592
Do not get the truck one. Theshort handle one will be fine. You will have to mail off the forward part of the shifter body at the very top about 3/16 of an inch down to nothing clears up console lid

-
Back