shifter cable

-

red cuda

Reaction score
I am in need of a shifter cable , that will work with an early A-body. I have converted to a V8. Its a 65 Barracuda with a 318, and 904 transmission. This car retains the factory console shifter.I need a cable that will work with the factory shifter. I thought a B&M shifter cable would work, but I need it to be one with a short eyelet length. About 1 inch long. Has anyone done this conversion?......thanks.

There is a place that makes repros for the floor shift cable for the original cable-shift transmission. You didn't tell us what type of 904 transmission you have. You can find posts here. Imperial Services, I recall. Some have been unhappy with long delays and the cost is high (>$200 recall).

The throw on a factory shifter is very short. Alot of work involved to get it to work. Put a quick sliver under the factory console and be done with it.

I changed mine to a Hurst Promatic. Looks fairly close to the average Joe. Just paint the cover the factory color and replace the ball with a plain black ball.

There was a post recently about another vendor who had quicker service than Imperial service. There is also a part called Shift-r-Gate to help with the factory shifter.

if you were keeping the stock 65 cable shift tranny ive got an xtra one for a 65 dart gt that id make a deal with ya?

If you get the Pro Matic shifter to work you will love how it works.

Mike

Yeah, that's probably what I will end up going with if I cant find a cable. Just hate it, because this little factory console shifter is cool

-
Back