shifter rods

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
I picked up an short tail a-833 iron case tranny some time ago, just the transmission, no rods or shifter, I recently picked up a short tail a-833 aluminum case OD. Complete with rods and shifter.
I had read that the OD transnission has the third gear rod "flipped" over, so to move the rod linkage and shifter to the iron case tranny, is it as simple as fliping the third gear rod over 180 degrees?
It there a reference on the web some where on the proper way to adjust the linkage?

thanks

Got the two trannys side by side,
only the OD has linkage,,
believe it is not the shift rod that gets flipped over but is the tab on the transmission that the rod attaches to that is relocated. On the OD the tab is at 6:00 on the standard it is at 12:00.

Would the shifter rod linkage interchange between standard and OD a-833's ?

thanks

Hurst used to sell the linkage kit for the OD or standard trans. You are correct about flipping the front Tab. I do not know if the rods will work with the tab flipped. I bought the kit, so I'm thinking not. If you have the time you can give it a try. There is a hole/slot for a 1/4 inch diameter rod to go through all the arms below the shifter. Then adjust the rods so they fit in the tabs on the trans. Should be good to go. Shifter should work on either trans with the right tabs and linkage rods.

-
Back