Shifter Troubles

-

64X2

Mohel at your service.
Reaction score
I final got my OD put in my 64 Valiant, I am using a Hurst shifter that came from a 68 A-body and A-body linkage. I am finding it hard to get into reverse, is this common problem, I disassembled the shifter, cleaned it and greased the hell out of it, the action of the shifter is not sticky or clunky but, it is hard as hell to get it to go into reverse, you have to jockey the **** out of it before it finally and reluctantly goes into reverse. It seems the the middle lever is designed to actuate the reverse lever to allow reverse gear selection which it does, but requires a lot moving the shifter mechanism around until it catches and moves the linkage arm to move the reverse tab.... I have not been able to find a diagram of the linkage set up or the shifter mechanism disassembly/assembly, but the way I have it seems correct....I will take a pic and post it and once you get the shifter mechanism in the right place it puts the tranny in reverse effortlessly, it is just getting into that place that I am having trouble with..

Have you adjusted the neutral gate yet? Mine was a royal ***** to shift
until I adjusted the neutral gate and now it shifts like a dream.

X2
even a little off will cause hard shifts, mine was with 2nd gear. I had to tweak one of the rods because one turn on the adjuster barrel was too far in either direction.

I final got my OD put in my 64 Valiant, I am using a Hurst shifter that came from a 68 A-body and A-body linkage. I am finding it hard to get into reverse, is this common problem, I disassembled the shifter, cleaned it and greased the hell out of it, the action of the shifter is not sticky or clunky but, it is hard as hell to get it to go into reverse, you have to jockey the **** out of it before it finally and reluctantly goes into reverse. It seems the the middle lever is designed to actuate the reverse lever to allow reverse gear selection which it does, but requires a lot moving the shifter mechanism around until it catches and moves the linkage arm to move the reverse tab.... I have not been able to find a diagram of the linkage set up or the shifter mechanism disassembly/assembly, but the way I have it seems correct....I will take a pic and post it and once you get the shifter mechanism in the right place it puts the tranny in reverse effortlessly, it is just getting into that place that I am having trouble with..

That is how my 4 speed is. You have to put a lot of force into it to make it go over into reverse and even shake it a little to get it in and out. I am just used to it now so I got it down. They have some thing in them to make it hard to put into reverse so you don't put it into reverse when you are doing a 1-2 power shift.

They can be tricky to get just right, but it all works smoothly when it's there. Try adjusting the reverse rod by one turn at a time (longer or shorter) until the shifter operates without weirdness. If it gets worse adjusting the rod in one direction, go back the number of turns to where it started and then go in the other direction one turn at a time. It's a battle of patience more often than not.

When everything is adjusted properly and all of the internals have been gone thru or either replaced, it should slide in reverse even from neutral, like butter, with that 1 click sound.

hi, inside the trans, there is a shoe on 1-2 arm, it rides over the reverse arm, to prevent being in two gears at once. if they do not clear each other, shifting into reverse is a chore. you can adjust shifter all you want, still will be hard to get reverse. the proper way to fix, is to loosen up side cover, shift into reverse, then tighten back down. now, the reverse will work better. I have changed side covers and had to grind on the shoe to make them fit properly. they are not the same!! I've done this before. just food for though.

I've got an O/D in my '64 Barracuda.... Valiant... same thing.

You have a couple things to get right. One is the sifter plate. Needs to be a '64-'65. Yes, they are different. Your shift rods and levers come in to play too. There may even be a specific A-body O/D rod but I don't remember. I had to experiment with several different combinations before mine was working properly. pntastar69 is correct... it should work like butter! I mean buttah!

I may have some photos of my setup. Lemme dig...

Should go in to gear easy.If your adjustment is off by one turn that will make it hard to get into gear. Jim

This the set up, need to trim the floor a little more. I will try and readjusting everything and let you know.

SN850220.jpg
[/IMG]

Great picture and info.

How does one adjust the neutral gate? I've read something about inserting a drill bit or something of that nature.

If that trans/shifter isn't in gear, it looks mis-adjusted to me.

You need to disconnect all the rods at the shifter and put a 1/8 or so drill bit, hex key or something that diameter through the alignment holes in each arm and the boss on each side of the shifter. Circled in red. If they aren't lined up, the shifter won't work properly.

SN850220.jpg

You may need to bend the 3/4 rod. Looks like it's hitting the crosmember.

Take a look through the 4 speed sections of our forums. There's o/d linkage info there. toolmanmike

The shifter linkage for 3-4th gear needs to be opposite of the picture you
are showing.The rod needs to be up like the 1-2 shifter linkage. That rod
also looks like it may be bent at the shifter.I do not think that linkage for
3-4th gear will work properly.Where the linkage threads into the shifter
needs to be straight so you can adjust the linkage.When you adjust the
linkage a 1/4 in drill bit or bolt will keep things lined up.Disconnect your
linkage,slide your bit or bolt through the shifter and in slot of the shifter
plate, and adjust your linkage.Make sure trans is in neutral.I would contact
Brewers Performance for some advice.They are good people to deal with.
The no is 937-698-4259.Good luck.

Well did a little bending, and then readjusted the shifter gate....viola it shifts correctly..........does anybody know if the rounded lingage spring clips are available through a place like Napa......thanks again for all the help.....

Just Bought Some My Self They Are Part # 11 From Hurst Or Mr Gasket And I Got Them At Autozone Where I Work For $14,95 And Tax

-
Back