shipping extra or included?

-

rbkt65

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
if you are a buyer, does shipping make/break the deal? if you are seller, do you include shipping in price? i sold most of my speedo gears to include shipping. shipping was about $8. some things i sell, i ask for $5/10 to help defray shipping costs. most of my stuff has been acquired over the years. stuff i bought long ago, don't remember price. stuff recently acquired, might remember price. also, if using paypal for payment, do you always ask for 3-4%, so you get the full asking price. sometimes i do, on big ticket items. sometimes i don't. i, like almost everyone else is looking for a good deal, but that old shipping deal could be a killer. just curious.

I include it on some things. I assume buyer will pay the p/p fee because I almost always pay it. Shipping has killed about 1/4 of my deals. I also have to put insurance on as I don’t want to be out the money and the part if it gets lost or stolen. I ship 90% to the USA. Kim

Last edited:
Some folks just don't understand postage costs are soaring. I try to include shipping on my items just to get it done, save time and hassle. However I lost a 125 dollar sale over shipping.

I have found PP fees are around 5%.

Total price with shipping is what I look at. I have bought 5.00 part and paid 10 for shipping. But if you have to have the part is 15.00 too much?

Regarding PayPal, I pay friends so no fee. I trust the folks on FABO, and haven't gotten burnt yet.

All that being said. When shipping is included it feels good!

Pay pal is 5% or more depending on the price. I also get dinged with a currency conversion fee. It is $5.00 on every $100.00 coming to me. Then when I buy from the USA they ding me another conversion fee to change it back to USA currency. Kim

My personal business practice in selling parts is i keep the shipping costs separate from the price of the part that i'm selling it at.
Part is a separate cost, and the shipping is another separate cost.
That may be just me, but it's the way that i do my business. Personal preference, i guess.

And ya, shipping costs have killed a lot of my sales, as i routinely sell rebuilt suspension, and brake parts, when packaged up, weigh in at quite a bit of pounds.
Living in California, on the west coast, and shipping parts to east coast states, from Maine, to Florida, some people just don't want to pay what it costs to get parts from point A, to point B, in this day and age.
And lots are still just clueless how much shipping costs these days are by the mailman, UPS, FEDEX.

Then on the other hand, sometimes i can't buy parts, knowing how expensive it would be for me to get them.
Something to buy, rebuild, shipping costs, just doesn't make it profitable from the get go, to make it worth while, with little to no profit margin.
So i gotta find, buy, parts pretty much locally, before i can invest my labor time, in doing what i do, with parts.

As far as Pay Pal goes, i always give the buyer the option in paying me thru Friends or Family, or Goods and Services.
I calculate both figures for them, when giving them a quote.
Then it's their decision on how they want to put the payment into my Pay Pal account.

Someone needs to say it so why not me.... Shipping cost has not a thing to do with the price of what I am selling. Most sites and FB pages ask or require you to give a zipcode (or location, same thing.) That should be all that is required for a potential buyer to make an informative decision as to if they even want to inquire about something.

That's my take on it anyway....

JW

I always price the item and say it is plus shipping.
The buyer maybe local and want to pick up the item so there is no shipping.
And unless the item for sale is really cheap, like 10.00 or so I say + pay pal fee, as maybe the buyer wants to avoid the PayPal fee by sending a MO and is Ok waiting a day for the MO
to clear before I ship.
Personally I think that is being clear to the buyer on what the part is actually selling for.

I always post "Buyer pays shipping" on most of my items. I also try shop the different carriers USPS, UPS, Fedex, & the others to see who has the best rates. From there, I quote the price of the part(s) as well as the actual shipping cost. I have also lost a few deals because of the shipping costs.

I always post "Buyer pays shipping" on most of my items. I also try shop the different carriers USPS, UPS, Fedex, & the others to see who has the best rates. From there, I quote the price of the part(s) as well as the actual shipping cost. I have also lost a few deals because of the shipping costs.
Often times shipping on big stuff will kill a sale. I always state price plus shipping. Even Greyhound is expensive, but not as much as UPS or Fed Ex.
If it's a smaller item, USPS is usually the best way to ship, especially if the part will fit in a flat rate box. It seems that shipping prices have really
increased recently. I state a price sent as a gift or I add 3% if not for paypal.

If it is something that will cost under 20 dollars to ship I include shipping in the price of the part( flat rate box ) . If it's over 20 to ship I charge whatever it cost to ship in addition to the asking price. I don't take pay pal,I refuse to let them make money on my sales ,they are parasites .

Flat rate price included can work, but large items can be drastically different costs based on destination.

I include it on some things. I assume buyer will pay the p/p fee because I almost always pay it. Shipping has killed about 1/4 of my deals. I also have to put insurance on as I don’t want to be out the money and the part if it gets lost or stolen. I ship 90% to the USA. Kim

YOU ARE LUCKY. i PRICE STUFF AT LEAST HALF PRICE , AND THE SHIPPING HAS KILLED EVERYTHING FOR ME IN THE LAST YEAR !-----------------------------------------------------cant seem to keep my fingurs off the cap button !

Flat rate price included can work, but large items can be drastically different costs based on destination.
Exactly, It would be great if everything would fit in a USPS flat rate box and you would know ahead of time what shipping would cost. Big items you will probably need an estimate.

if you are a buyer, does shipping make/break the deal? if you are seller, do you include shipping in price? i sold most of my speedo gears to include shipping. shipping was about $8. some things i sell, i ask for $5/10 to help defray shipping costs. most of my stuff has been acquired over the years. stuff i bought long ago, don't remember price. stuff recently acquired, might remember price. also, if using paypal for payment, do you always ask for 3-4%, so you get the full asking price. sometimes i do, on big ticket items. sometimes i don't. i, like almost everyone else is looking for a good deal, but that old shipping deal could be a killer. just curious.
There is no such thing as "free freight"
The freight is baked in the the retail price.
I did this in my line of business 20 years ago.

You have to be smart about everything. I also keep shipping separate but eat PP fees, part of the cost of doing business. Shop all the shippers. UPS has a flat rate also, great for heavy items. I refunded $20 shipping cost to an eBay buyer because I used Fed-Ex instead of eBay's calculated price. Anything under a pound can be shipped USPS 1st class mail for 2-4 bucks. Freight can be shipped economically by Fastenal. I shipped a complete 8 3/4 A body rear from SC to VA for about $100. I never add anything to shipping costs.

Raise the price 4% and don't add in paypal fees.

That's called "passing it along to the consumer", and is how big business works.

The perception is better on the buyers end.

That's called "passing it along to the consumer", and is how big business works.

U r so right. That works on small stuff. An E transfer or money gram is alittle better for me. Less fee than PayPal. Kim

Protects both teams. I just did a transaction and covered it. Burry it in the cost, make it a requirement, however you get there. Paypal is a necessity IMO because of the way people are today, sad to say.

JW

not if im the buyer
if you offer something for sale to me, with the stipulation you have no problem lying to the middle man, who holds both our moneys, that doesnt make me feel like i can trust you
(unless of course you make it clear that advertised price includes the PP fee)

Who's lying to a middle man?

What product other than those federally mandated to disclose, itemizes any costs associated with the product and makes them available to the consumer?

not if im the buyer
if you offer something for sale to me, with the stipulation you have no problem lying to the middle man, who holds both our moneys, that doesnt make me feel like i can trust you
(unless of course you make it clear that advertised price includes the PP fee)

If you walk up to me at a swap and say I'll give me $100 for that Item I have marked at $100, you get the part.... then you choose or want to use a middleman that in turn gives me $95... Is that OK with me... not a chance.

There are two sides to that. You can always take the time to run down to the post office, use gas, stamp, envelope and send me a postal money order. Paypal is a convenience for the BUYER moreso the seller. You want to use it, accept the cost to do so. You want the protection that has screwed sellers worldwide for many years, you can pay for that "insurance".

I add the paypal fee all the time, even when someone asks for F&F. I'm willing to suck it up for the protection, same as my home or car insurance. If you don't like F&F, then make sure I get what I want in my pocket. This is the same rehashed nonsense that the seller should eat the cost. The same that complain about having to pay it as a buyer, usually complain when the package shows up. You got charged a bit more than the postage on the package says, oh the humanity. If you agreed to a shipping amount... then that's on the buyer. If a seller is willing to accept the paypal fees, that's their decision. Asking for it UPFRONT as part of the transaction is as a HONEST as you can get! Nothing nefarious or dishonest, it's part of the transaction.

Just a different perspective.

UPS, as much as I hate them now has a Simple Rate for shipping based on box size. I think the limit is 50# so it's similar to USPS flat rate. Use your own box

@Lee Robinson

Yes shipping prices suck compared to 5-10 years ago. Nothing I sell includes shipping anymore. Some stuff isn't bad, Frame rails and floor pans... ACKKK!!!!!

-
Back