Shipping from Canada to U.S. eh?

-

CichliDart

Well, where is it now?
Reaction score
So I am looking at buying an engine on ebay from Canada and having it sent to California. It is about $2000. and am wondering if anyone had an idea what if any customs fees might be for a transaction like this.

"International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges"

Would rather not go this route but I am getting really jerked around by a seller out in Pennsylvania that has been shipping me an engine for about three weeks now. All communication from that seller stopped not longer after the transaction was completed. It has been almost a month now and they cannot be bothered to return an email or a phone call. I opened up a case with Paypal about it so they have frozen the transaction but I am really pissed as I have put my engine search on hold for a month. As soon as I get some kind of resolution I will be more than happy to share who the seller is.

Thanks guys!
Mike

Im in Canada and have sold n shipped stuff to US, but nothing as big as engine. As far as I know there are no "extra fees" when shipping to you. NOW if I was buying from US, you can bet there would be fees!! Are you going thru ebay again?

I shipped an intake manifold to Canada through the USPS and it was expensive and a pain in the nuts. Never again, no offense.

One of the guys i work with had an engine shipped from Canada ... I know that Customs kept the motor for a week before releasing it ... so be prepared to wait a couple of weeks before you get it ...

Antique car parts have no duty or fees either way thanks to the free trade agreement. That being said, if you use a courier they will use a customs broker who will charge their own processing fees, and they are expensive. The only way to do it is by using Canada post and USPS. I am fairly certain however that you cannot mail an engine........

Im in Canada and have sold n shipped stuff to US, but nothing as big as engine. As far as I know there are no "extra fees" when shipping to you. NOW if I was buying from US, you can bet there would be fees!! Are you going thru ebay again?

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Yes, I will be going through ebay again. For the most part I have had a dozen years and 600+ positive transactions on ebay but have had two sellers this month that are stringing me along on shipping items. The price is right and the mileage is right for the Canada 5.7 Hemi. Have looked local but the prices are about a grand more.

Thanks for the help!
Mike

Antique car parts have no duty or fees either way thanks to the free trade agreement. That being said, if you use a courier they will use a customs broker who will charge their own processing fees, and they are expensive. The only way to do it is by using Canada post and USPS. I am fairly certain however that you cannot mail an engine........

Hmmmm? I wonder if They would consider a five year old engine as an antique :)

One of the guys i work with had an engine shipped from Canada ... I know that Customs kept the motor for a week before releasing it ... so be prepared to wait a couple of weeks before you get it ...

Thank you for sharing this!

A week in customs plus shipping time will still beat the three week hanging in Limbo I have been going through now.

I appreciate your help :)

Mike

Dave sorry thats incorrect. I had a part mailed by a member here and he mistakenly put a $250 value on it.(should have been $25). Extra "fees" were charged at Canada Post. I filed a "claim" or whatever you call it and phoned Canada Customs. The lady I spoke to stated that "any part, new or used" is subject to "fees". She also stated that almost all parts/pieces valued at $20 or under get passed thru simply due to not enough manpower/time. Anything else above that, simply spin the wheel and hope you dont get hit with fees. Oh I did get a refund on the fees as I had a paypal reciept.

ps I mentioned "free trade agreement" to the lady from Canada Customs and it has no bearing no this.

So are you saying that if the seller lists the contents of a package as "Antique Car Parts" that the duty fees are waived? If that's true this is SUPER info for all of us here :D

Perhaps I should be clearer. I am 99% certain that due to the free trade agreement antique cars and parts are duty exempt. However, as I said, customs brokers still charge processing fees. These fees are much less if Canada Post / USPS are used. Whenever I buy parts out of the states I always have them shipped via the mail, and I have them labelled antique car parts in order to keep fees to a minimum. Even better of they are declared a gift.

I sent alot of parts to the US , not an engine mind you .But i always check off as a gift , never have a problem couple months ago i sent a set of HP exhaust manifolds from a 440 to Oregon , used Canada post , never have a problem .And the customer got em and no fees.

-
Back