Shipping frustrations...

-

69CudaFan

Reaction score
So I bought this 1969 Barracuda Convertible (pics to follow in another thread). Car is in awesome shape with a TON of documention. I inspected the car on the 25 and 26th of Oct in Basalt, CO. Flew in drove from Denver and spent two days packing up and shipping extra parts and packing stuff in the car (shippers allow for up to 150 lbs).

So I had a shipper lined up, and the asses set up the pickup on the 25th (the day of my arrival). I waved off on that as I would not have had any time to inspect (or for that matter purchase) the car. The carrier WOULD NOT slide it to the right by 12 hours so that I would have time to work through the night and pick it up the following morning.

I have been pestering a the shipper to find another carrier since then, and have gotten nothing but stories. "I have a guy, but he fell through.", "Not sure if it is the weather.", "I am working hard, I want this shipped as badly as you do." (doubtful). In addition, this outfit says they will call you back and they NEVER do. I have to continually pull info from them, and oh, did I mention they already have a $100 deposit?

The point of my rant is I was wondering if there are members on here that have shipped a car and had a GOOD experience with a company. I am sick of :banghead: with this company and want to pursue other options. I shipped my other Cuda with Capitol Auto Transport and had good luck with them. I am sure there are a number of factors at play here (how often the route is traveled, proximity to major highway, weather, etc).

or if there are any members in the CO area with a diesel truck, trailer that holds a car, and a burning desire to come to California...

I will speak from PERSONAL experience with DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) and in my opinion,THEY SUCK and I would discourage anyone from using them !!!Paid for Expedited Enclosed Shipping,but the service was anything but expedited.Numerous lies,and just plain BS !!!

I figured :worthles:so here is a link to an updated gallery.

This is what I am trying to get shipped:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=5826

Let me know what you think. Car has receipts for every part replaced, changed, modified. Additionally, has a memo book with mileage, gas, MPG, etc. Will post more pics of the level of detail the previous owner had. It will be tough for me to keep that level of detail, but I feel that I should.

Still digging through piles of reference material. Previous owner LOVED this car, and it is evident.

Have a Nephew that sold his early 80's BMW convert with all the options pristeen condition on Ebay a couple years back. Guy from back East sent someone to document it pictures etc. The guy ended up getting it. My Nephew had sent him tons of pictures. The guy hired a hauler to take it back East to his address. When it arrived it was scratch ,dented dirty and over 100 miles on it from the documented milage. The buyer was pissed and theatened my Nephew with a law suit. If it haden't been for documentation and pictures he would have been screwed. The buyers insurance company investigaterd and found that the haulers were using the car to go to dinner and run around while they cross countried. The car was on the end of the trailor. Buyer went after the hauler. Needless to say investigate your hauler.

My opinion? Fly back out to CO and drive it home. The level of workmanship in that restoration leaves me confident the car will drive to CA without any problems.
Beautiful work whoever did it.

George

Will contact my former neighbor, or at least try. He has shipped sveral cars thru one particular carrier with very little trouble. Price was reasonalbe, think they charged him $850, door-door from PA to AZ for a driveable car last one he shipped.....In the past I contacted one of those shipping brokers that shops for you, still getting emails from them 3 years later.....

Call Kimberly at Cascade shipping in Nevada, tell her Rick Hauk in PA sent ya..She has shipped 10 cars in the past year for me, always done a great job

You've been given good advice, either go get it and drive it home or use one of the
better car haulers, or go over to www.moparts.com and they have a car hauling section
with good qualified car movers who criss cross the country. Nothing is cheap as you
have already found out, but for between $800 and $1200 you should be able to find
a reputable company to haul the car for you.

I do some hauling more locally, but there is already snow on the ground in and around
Denver so I'm not interested in the trip.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Beautiful car!! You can try Hansens or Oakwood transport, Oakwood is based up here in Canada, but they ship new cars for the dealerships. Can I say something without pi**ing you off?? I dont believe that car is a true formula s...at least by the fender tag anyway. I didnt see A53 the code for formula s on either the orange or red one

Its not an original Formula S car but it is an original 340 car. E55 on fender tag is 340 and "P" in the 5'th digit VIN identifies it as a 340 engine. As seen here the 340 could be ordered without the Formula S or Cuda package.

Oh man, get yourself a one way ticket and drive it home! Beautiful weather now, but hurry. Winters coming. Nice lesurley drive, couple rest stops and a night at a retro motor lodge (sleep with the distributor cap) make it a date (sleep with her).

I'm in Colorado Springs and Basalt is a few hours West of me. I can possibly get a truck and trailer (F350 w/gooseneck). However, the weather out here has been pretty much snow mid week for the last 3 weeks. Actually going to get a few inches tonight. When we get a few inches, the mountain areas get considerably more and most of the time they shut the mountain passes down..... also, how much are you willing to pay?
Good luck....sweet car too!!
Oh yeah, where at in California??

Can I say something without pi**ing you off?? I dont believe that car is a true formula s...at least by the fender tag anyway. I didnt see A53 the code for formula s on either the orange or red one

Well, I do not think that I ever said that the convertible is a true Formula 'S' car, so I am not pi**ed at all. It IS as numbers matching 340-S to echo another poster (1 of 125). I think that the previous owner just liked the look of the Formula 'S' panel better than the regular one. He took pics of other real cars and was precise in his measurement for placement of the emblem (if memory serves, it was something like "13 mm from the right hand edge and 11 mm up from the bottom". I would have to dig into the binders of info that came with car to be sure...you can tell the trunk finish panel was painted. Either way the car is in awesome shape. I seriously thought about jumping in the car and driving it home, but would have had to have someone drive my rental back to Denver in BAAAD weather that I hit on the 26th...I will post more about that in another thread with more pics when the car arrives.

On the "orange" one (It seems more red than orange to me),

http://images110.fotki.com/v569/photos/7/707157/2585606/1969PlymouthPaintCodes-vi.jpg

you also will not find code A53; that is because in place of that there is code A56. I am sure that you recognize that it is a true 1969 'cuda'....(1 of sixty-eight) 340/4 speeds.

Not testy about either one of the car's pedigrees, they both have good and bad things to address, and I wish I could talk my wife into keeping BOTH!

I am in San Diego. Having done that drive before, I can tell you that there are some pretty REMOTE stretches of road that I would not want to be stuck on...I have done that song and dance before. I know that there are surely two camps on this board, one that says that a long road trip is the best way to get to know your new purchase, but then there are others would take a more methodical approach and just be patient and have the car shipped. Getting to Basalt from the airport is the challenge...and the next leg is making it about 950 miles to my front door.

-
Back