Shock Question

-
This is what hotchkis says

Hotchkis Tuned Shocks, 1.5 S.P.S Aluminum Bodied, Set, Dodge/Plymouth, A Body, E Body Challenger

Price: $550.00
Qty:
SKU: 79020015
Application Guide:
73-76 Plymouth Valiant
67-72 Plymouth Valiant
71-72 Plymouth Scamp
73-76 Plymouth Scamp
73-76 Plymouth Duster
70-72 Plymouth Duster
67-69 Plymouth Barracuda
70-74 Dodge Challenger
71-72 Dodge Demon
73-76 Dodge Dart Sport
73-76 Dodge Dart
67-72 Dodge Dart
63-66 Dodge Dart
64-66 Plymouth Barracuda
63-66 Plymouth Valiant

Sorry, I was wrong. The B,E&A have the same tuning, the B is different in length.

Sorry, I was wrong. The B,E&A have the same tuning, the B is different in length.

All good. Hey were those measurements for the fox shock measures from center top eyelet to center of bottom eyelet on rear and from bottom of top cup to center of bottom bushing on front?

Cool thanks. Im going to compare the ext and coll lengths to that of the kyb. If they wont work i can always return them :blob:

Got them in today. Gotta love summit, that and theyre only one state away.
Installed the rears tonight, gonna install the fronts tomorrow night (hopefully). Ill post the pictures tomorrow night or thursday night.

The shocks are valved for a best fit scenario on each specific chassis. the non-adjustable shocks are built off of a codex that was developed using this testing that allows us to calculate wheel frequency and control based off of corner weights and spring rates. These rates and weights are averaged across the body styles B&E share one tune while the A's have their own. There is not a lot of difference in the wheel rates and weights with B and E bodies, and with engine and interior combinations it varies even further. Since each shock is hand built and tuned at Hotchkis, if a customer provides their information, a custom tune can be made. A lot of shocks go out the door with someones last name on them, not a part number. More importantly if you buy an adjustable shock from Hotchkis you are starting with a shock that is tuned for that car but can be softened or stiffened to the end users needs and driving conditions; unlike something like a QA-1 or Viking (same design / company) where you will get the same shock whether you are buying it for your truck or your race car. And the level of adjustability sweeps between those two mediums and is a lot more than the average consumer needs. Most folks like Ridetech will spend more time trying to talk you out of a 3 way adjustable than trying to upsell you. They would rather you use something tuned for your chassis than playing wheel of fortune with shock knobs for two years while the user tries to figure it out.

Here is a Reply from the owner of Viking that I wanted to share.

Every car is somewhat different (even if they are the same body style), driving styles differ, users encounter varying road conditions, etc. There is no way to tune for every possibility without going to an active shock management (electronic) system. However, the double adjustables that we build give the user the option of tuning for their car and their application whether it’s going from the street to the strip to the autocross track, unlike a non-adjustable or rebound adjustable only monotube. There is just absolutely no comparison between what a double adjustable is capable of vs. a non-adjustable or rebound adjustable monotube. Hotchkis shocks only offers a rebound adjustable monotube, since in order to add compression adjustability, a canister is required, adding significant cost and complexity. Thus, the Hotchkis shocks may require a "custom tune" for each application because they are either non-adjustable or rebound only adjustable with a narrow adjustment range. On the other hand, the double adjustable is far superior and has a huge adjustment window, which is why they can be used for so many different cars and applications... they can be tuned. If you don't like the adjustment window on the monotube, you cannot change it without disassembling the entire shock absorber, which most street users would have no idea how to do. Essentially, this user is trying to hang double adjustables because of what makes them great... a huge, end-user tunable adjustment range! In addition, Viking offers other tunes for specific applications, such as high hp drag cars and pro touring (see the info in the attached article under the heading "Crusader" and "Berserker"). We are firmly of the opinion that a twin tube shock is superior to a monotube shock for street applications.

As far as the comment that QA1 and Viking are the same design / company, that is not true. We are completely separate corporations and we have no contact with anyone at QA1. Yes, there are similarities in the appearance of our shocks, but the differences far outweigh the similarities. Lengths, options, travel, threads, spring quality, shock quality, etc. are all different. You could say the same about Varishocks, Avo, etc., as being the same as we all use deflective disk twin tube designs; however, our products are very different.

Thanks
James

First paragraph was pretty spot on. You can have a shock that is tuned for your application with a tighter adjustment window (less guess work) or you can get a generic shock with broad range of adjustments leaving the user to play wheel of fortune with their shocks.

Just got done with the fox shock install. They are a little stiffer than the kyb which is what i was looking for. Pretty noticeable difference around the corners between the kyb and fox shocks. Oh and DTM racing was spot on with the measurements of the fox shocks.

Overview:

Brand. Position Collapsed length. Extended length

KYB. Front 9.53 in. 14.72 in
KYB. Rear. 13.39 in. 21.57 in

Fox. Front. 9.05 in. 14.3 in.
Fox. Rear. 14.15 in. 22.5 in

Rear kyb compared to fox

View attachment image.jpg

Just from a curiosity stand point how do they come tuned to the chassis? They use the same part number for the A, B, & E body which does make sense from a physical fit stand point(As bilstein does the same) but the A B & E bodies are all different wheel bases, weight distribution and can have multiple different drivetrain options.

This is just food for thought and I feel would be good for discussion

Hi. I really want to buy the bilstein Shock set for my valiant. Can you tell me the extended length of the rear shocks. I got xhd leaves on the back.

The rears extended are 22 1/2" and compressed are 14 1/2. The front are 15" extended and fully compressed is 10"

Thanks
James

The rears extended are 22 1/2" and compressed are 14 1/2. The front are 15" extended and fully compressed is 10"

Thanks
James

Thanks. How do I go about getting the FABO discount? If it's still offered? I'm ready to order.

Installed the Blistiens from PST on my 72 Demon along with their super poly graphite front end kit . I was surprised at how comfortable the ride was.
Yote

-
Back