shock suggestions for 67 barracuda w/headers

-

poppys67toy

slow learner
Reaction score
Hi all , I am looking for suggestions Ideas for shocks for my 67 273 commando w/904 I installed headers and they are really low had a little drag getting out of the driveway ouch!!! would like to raise the front about 2 inches and the rear 4 or more inches I like a little rake. will probably go air shocks in back the shocks on it now are a light brown color I believe original. any suggestions are welcome thanks .larry:read2:

I think you will be happier with Super Stock Springs, they will give you the lift you want without sacrificing ride quality. I ran air shocks in the back before and the ride was awful. As far as shocks go IMO Monroes are good or if you can afford them Bilstiens.

I think you will be happier with Super Stock Springs, they will give you the lift you want without sacrificing ride quality. I ran air shocks in the back before and the ride was awful. As far as shocks go IMO Monroes are good or if you can afford them Bilstiens.
hi and thanks for the info.where do you get the super stock springs and do you have a part# for the shocks thanks again larry

ManciniRacing usually has them (part numbers ending in 002 and 003) for around $130 + shipping. You might ask on here if anybody is selling them or check locally on CG. I would stay away from the springs rated at 3000 lbs or less. You will find that if you get those they will weaken because most 67-69 A bodies here in California weigh somewhere between 3000-3400 lbs.

you are not hoping shocks will raise the front end are you? You shold be able to get 2" by adjusting your torsion bars.. .you'll probably want to go have it aligned once you are all done with getting the ride height you want though.

You will need an alignment when finished. Some find SS springs overly stiff for the street, others don't.

You can get XHD springs in +2" over stock (maybe more).

i got great shocks in front from les swchab road ryder great product handle great. in thge back i have 2air shocks with seprate fill stems for ea one there awesome any time i wanna lift or lower its easy. hope this helps.

you are not hoping shocks will raise the front end are you? You shold be able to get 2" by adjusting your torsion bars.. .you'll probably want to go have it aligned once you are all done with getting the ride height you want though.
actually I am new to torsion bars and I did think shocks would give me a lift . how do you adjust the torsion bars I probably need an alignment anyway.thanks for the reply. larry:read2:

i got great shocks in front from les swchab road ryder great product handle great. in thge back i have 2air shocks with seprate fill stems for ea one there awesome any time i wanna lift or lower its easy. hope this helps.
thanks for the info and yes it helps I think air shocks might be the one for me I like the idea of changing the height. thanks again larry.

I'm sorry, but after the first reply, I skipped it all, because;

Super Stock springs do nothing for ground clearance for headers and sorry, shocks do nothing for ground clearance ethier unless there completely shot out. They have nothing to do with ride height.

BUT THERES HOPE!

And it's easy toooooooooooooooooo

Go under the front end of your car with a breaker bar and proper size socket and turn the T-bar adjusters inwards (Clockwise) a 1/2 turn until ride height is where you need it to be. This is how you gain ground clearance for your headers.

Now, shocks! Monroes are fine fctory like replacements, I like the KYB as a inexpensive upgrade in a slightly stiffer ride with less bounce.

Agree with Rumble.
Raise the front by cranking the torsion bars up.
KYB shocks.

I'm sorry, but after the first reply, I skipped it all, because;

Super Stock springs do nothing for ground clearance for headers and sorry, shocks do nothing for ground clearance ethier unless there completely shot out. They have nothing to do with ride height.

BUT THERES HOPE!

And it's easy toooooooooooooooooo

Go under the front end of your car with a breaker bar and proper size socket and turn the T-bar adjusters inwards (Clockwise) a 1/2 turn until ride height is where you need it to be. This is how you gain ground clearance for your headers.

Now, shocks! Monroes are fine fctory like replacements, I like the KYB as a inexpensive upgrade in a slightly stiffer ride with less bounce.
thanks for the info I will be under the car for some of this weekend anyway. the part about the springs was for a little rake in the ride and the shocks well I really need new ones . will send or post pics . larry

Air shocks transfer a lot of vehicle weight to the upper shock mounts. These were never designed for this load and can fail. You are far better replacing your rear springs (not too expensive actually) or having your current springs re-arched (not much cheaper). Air shocks also bind up the rear suspension, causing traction issues.

-
Back