Shocks placement

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Well I am going to get some air shocks for the back of my 73 duster
And I wanted to know if when I took the old shocks off will they fit on
the front

The front shocks should have a threaded stem that goes up through the inner fender and the rears are a through bolt

Unless someone has done some serious modifications to your front or back mounts, the front end has a horizontal hole at the bottom for a through-bolt and a threaded stem at the top that accepts a nut from the top in the engine compartment... the back shocks have horizontal holes at both ends and studs go through them from up under the car and the leaf spring plates.

I can't speak from experience but I've heard raising the back end of the car up too much with air shocks puts a lot of extra stress on the upper shock mounts (go through into the trunk) and eventually can cause damage. Raising the height with leaf springs seems to be the consensus on the "proper" way to do things.

to make the back set up higher in the rear and give it a meaner look

Bad move , puts stress on all the wrong places , really screws up the rear end . Lots of buddies took the same route back in the day to get that mean stance , ended up hurting the wallet (broken shock mounts and other damage ) . Only good if you want to overload your trunk and NOT drag your bumper , but NOT for raising the *** beyond specs .
Get new springs or re- arc and add a leaf .

-
Back