Shop keeps getting trashed!

-

rklein383

Reaction score
I used to blame my kids for the shop becoming a disaster. I think my neighbors now have a key and keep trashing it for me!

It is amazing how quick it becomes a mess.

I got spoiled, I used to walk past every bench looking at the parts that had been replaced during the day, and clearing everything onto the floor for the nite guy to sweep up.
My home shop was great till kids, my son, foster son, my son-in-law, my grandson .
Now when tools get left out, or put away dirty, I ask who the hell did that ?
I get 8 fingers pointed at 5 bodies (one mine) lol.

Last edited:
I always had the tool Dad needed. He said wait till you have your own place. Now, I can't find where I put the tools I use!

A place for everything and everything in its place. Right now my shop is thrashed. Lol

I used to blame my kids for the shop becoming a disaster. I think my neighbors now have a key and keep trashing it for me!

It is amazing how quick it becomes a mess.
:bs_flag::bs_flag:
I am thinking I know who the real culprit is.
I should talk. I let my garage get pretty bad.

Have you heard the "2 square foot" rule?

Just about every job I do in the shop...............At some time, I have to stop and put everything away, and then start up again. I once thought multiples of the same tool was the answer, but that only lets the pile get higher before I have to stop :lol: I couldn't be a surgeon.

Please elaborate....

...that you really only need 2 square feet to work in.

I have a work bench that's about 96x36 and another that's 60x30.

...and each has about 2 square feet of actual work area that's not covered in partially finished projects, parts, tools, fasteners, chemical containers, equipment, rags, etc.

"myth"- confirmed !!

I've started using coffee cans, both large and small for:

Small project storage- keeps parts together.

Temporary fastener storage until a proper sorting can occur.
One each for-

large bolts
medium bolts
small bolts
sheet metal screws
machine thread screws
large nuts
medium nuts
small nuts
large washers
medium washers
small washers.

WAS using glass jars...till I dropped one. now stuff is sorted into clear plastic containers with screw on lids, cat litter buckets for large, unsorted, coffee cans from previous house but sorted and in drawers, and of course, boxes!

Coffee cans are free.

(if you drink coffee)

Much to my demise my work benches stay pretty much cluttered until I am finished with the project. Although I do take the time to pick up my tools and trash, the rest… parts and pieces stays put.

I was pretty messy when I first started wrenching in my dad's garage but he's not a car guy and eventually got fed up with my junk everywhere. He cleaned it all up once and threw everything in the trunk of my Duster. After that I started being more organized, especially after having to move multiple times and more recently working at jobs where I had to share tools and workspace with other people. Now when I start something in the garage I get obsessive-compulsive about cleaning up and putting my tools back where they belong or else the job "isn't done yet". I have half of my garage taken up with moving boxes, engines on stands, toolboxes etc since moving in about a month ago and it's driving me nuts. I have nowhere to put it though until I have some extra cash to buy a shed and put it in the back yard.

I also really want a steel workbench, only had wood in the past and it sucks for automotive work.

Nope! I can't stand

20230425_173103.jpg
a mess so it gets put away after I'm done.

A lot of my friends the same age are building beautiful shops. The trend I see, is that most are using them as "man caves" or "club houses". Lots of awesome auto art on the walls, big screen tv's, recliners etc. Mine is strictly for working and parts/equipment storage. Hell, my wife doesn't even want to go in.

A lot of my friends the same age are building beautiful shops. The trend I see, is that most are using them as "man caves" or "club houses". Lots of awesome auto art on the walls, big screen tv's, recliners etc. Mine is strictly for working and parts/equipment storage. Hell, my wife doesn't even want to go in.

Man-caves are so cheesy lol I can't stand that trend. That's what happens when guys don't have hands-on skills but need to make themselves feel like they do, not to mention an excuse to have their own separate space in the house. It's just a "Safe Space" with a man theme.

Man-caves are so cheesy lol I can't stand that trend. That's what happens when guys don't have hands-on skills but need to make themselves feel like they do, not to mention an excuse to have their own separate space in the house. It's just a "Safe Space" with a man theme.
The band Pantera said it best "the great southern trend kill". I avoid all trends,fads, whatever mass groups think is cool... unless Mopars

The band Pantera said it best "the great southern trend kill". I avoid all trends,fads, whatever mass groups think is cool... unless Mopars
I agree...........I think I am responsible for starting some trends that have been ruined by the masses..........Hear me out :)

We built dune buggies out of old VW's on the cheap........................People are buying noisy side-by-side atv's like crazy now.

We drove a pick-up. Cheapest utilitarian vehicle you could find.......................Trucks today are insane, and the uses ridiculous.

We camped. A fun cheap way to spend family time.......................Can't find a site now because of the "Glampers"

We had "camps". a cheap summer place..................4 season cottages now that are big bucks. Fish and wildlife now gone and algae blooms on the lake.

Had a weekday golf membership years ago................They took Fridays away from us first, and didn't renew memberships when they expired in favour of high priced green fees........Not to mention the $800 driver that was "more forgiving"

Yes, you could say that I'm not a fan of "the masses" either.

-
Back