Shop power

-
Underground wire is pricey 14 k for 1/4 mile here. And trust me, it only takes a split second for a generator to boil smoke if you dont have a double throw switch ( don't ask how I know). If you run the generator much your normal power bill will look cheap. Outlets- put in quad boxes with each outlet on a separate circuit, leapfrog over the next box so that in two adjoining boxes you will have 4 circuits. That way you can plug in several items at one location without overloading a circuit.
Yote

Underground wire is pricey 14 k for 1/4 mile here. And trust me, it only takes a split second for a generator to boil smoke if you dont have a double throw switch ( don't ask how I know). If you run the generator much your normal power bill will look cheap. Outlets- put in quad boxes with each outlet on a separate circuit, leapfrog over the next box so that in two adjoining boxes you will have 4 circuits. That way you can plug in several items at one location without overloading a circuit.
Yote
thanks.I have the good stuff.My generator arrives Monday,so i can give my friends back!

Might want to convert the generator to LP. Safer to store, and has a much better shelf life.
I don't know of a down side.

Yote

SOB that's not cheap. And I'm looking at building a house next year, 1/2 mile from the road...........crap:violent2:

Ha! REA power!!???? varies by the co. just down the road 50 mi away, I once bought a piece of bare land. to get power the new neighbor and I split the cost. O K that was do-able, BUT the REA decided they had put up 6 poles 1/4 mi away that they did not put in correctly some YEARS prior. SO they would charge us to replace them at $600 per pole!!!! we paid, no choice! ha

I feel you on the cost of wire. I only had to run 40 ft and between that and the internal wiring it ran around $800.00. I ran 2 gauge copper from the house main panel to the sub panel in the garage (only required 3 gauge) and I ran 8 gauge to the 220 volt outlets (only required 10 gauge). I also had to drive (2) 8 ft copper rods into the ground for safety grounds (pain in the a$$. Might be cheaper in the end.to run a generator. I also have a backup generator, just in case.

Attachments

• IMG_20151015_090218_083.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 133
Ha! REA power!!???? varies by the co. just down the road 50 mi away, I once bought a piece of bare land. to get power the new neighbor and I split the cost. O K that was do-able, BUT the REA decided they had put up 6 poles 1/4 mi away that they did not put in correctly some YEARS prior. SO they would charge us to replace them at $600 per pole!!!! we paid, no choice! ha

I may have to look into solar, water and wind power....I have a running, deep creek year round at the bottom of the hill, the top of the hill is the tallest hill around by 60 ft, so there can be the wind and I have 15 acres of open, grass field for the solar panels......

I may have to look into solar, water and wind power....I have a running, deep creek year round at the bottom of the hill, the top of the hill is the tallest hill around by 60 ft, so there can be the wind and I have 15 acres of open, grass field for the solar panels......

Solar power is one thing that is reasonable when I visited Australia. Here it costs out the wazoo.Ive thought about a small windmill for an outside light

All my life I've been trucking and don't know nothing about electrical stuff.Ive been waiting 3 years to get power in my shop.A few friends came over and we got it going.The cost of cable is astronomical(265 ft) so we wired it for a generator now I have power in the shop and if we loose electricity in the house I got that covered also.

how big is that shop?

-
Back