Short Block Measuring

-

Bodyperson

Pedal to the metal
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm building a 340. I had the main caps line honed and had the decks squared to the crank mains. I checked all four corners with the DDS pistons and everything is spot on. Do I really need to check every lifter to get accurate pushrod length measurement or can I just rely on one cylinder for the measurement?

Last edited:
I would at least measure pushrod length at the four corners.
Your block can be perfectly square, but there is still the possibility of variances in the heads, especially if you have them cut to equalize any variances in chamber volume- it could change your rocker shaft stands' heights a bit, so you'll need to get an average on your pushrod length. It may not be a lot, but you'll never know unless you check.

Check the heights on the valve tips on your heads with a straight edge. If they are original J or X heads that have had who knows how many valve jobs, the valve tip heights may be up and down like the whoop-T-do's on a motocross track! They all need to be the same, so they will all lift the same when you get your push rods figured out.

Valve tips are all the same height or very close to the same. They are new heads from Promaxx. I'll check all of the pushrod heights. I'm not sure why I even questioned it. Thanks for the push to do it right.

Valve tips are all the same height or very close to the same. They are new heads from Promaxx. I'll check all of the pushrod heights. I'm not sure why I even questioned it. Thanks for the push to do it right.
Let us know how close they were to each other. There are a lot of variables that can add up if all are at their limits but some measurements are at their minimum and some at their maximum so they even themselves out.

Let us know how close they were to each other. There are a lot of variables that can add up if all are at their limits but some measurements are at their minimum and some at their maximum so they even themselves out.
Will do Mike. It sure takes a lot of time. I've done a few down and dirty half assed builds but this is the first blueprinted one.

-
Back