short shaft 727 good for anything?

-

mjhallas

Reaction score
I was given a 727(I think) short shaft trans. Is this something with future potential or just a VERY HEAVY P.O.S.

Even though I've rebuilt several car 727's I have never seen a short shaft 727 but I hear they exist. I asume they were used in motorhomes or 4wd. Trucks. It's probably not usable in a car since you'd have to do several mods to make it work but if it is a motorhome or truck trans. it probably has some heavy duty components. The main case and clutch drums and such should be interchangeable to a car trans. so it's a keeper for good parts I'd say. More than likely you could swap the output shaft and tailhousing from a long shaft onto it to use it in a car also.

Sounds like I need to call some the MOPAR tranny shops for some estimates. Maybe a good low first and second gear & hub pack. Thanks guys

The short tail shaft trannys came in heavy duty applications and all have a bolt on flange, some with a parking brake arrangement, others just the u joint flange.

They are good for heavy duty trucks, 4 wheel drive divorced transfer case set ups, possibly a dragster, but why, and rear engine wheel stander applications. I'm sure there are other applications, the possibilities boggle the mind. :)

-
Back