Short shaft small block 727 questions.

-

340dartley

Reaction score
I searched and didn't find the answers. If I missed it and I am repeating then I apologize. Anyway. I was given a good working small block 727 out of a truck that is of the short shaft bolt on yoke variety. Can this be converted to a standard output shaft easily? Does it have a any good uses in a car that are advantagous or not? Free was good so just looking for some input. Was wondering if it would be a good candidate for a 67 dodge dart I have sitting here.

The tailshaft will swap out with a car variety but you still have to go "all in" to do it. Would be easier to just swap the guts to another case.

The tailshaft will swap out with a car variety but you still have to gom "all in" to do it. Would be easier to just swap the guts to another case.
They are very easy transmissions to rebuild. Any problem with running it the way it is? Other than needing a custom slip yoke driveshaft?

They are very easy transmissions to rebuild. Any problem with running it the way it is? Other than needing a custom slip yoke driveshaft?
They are an easy transmission to build and very tough. I've never tried to put one (short shaft) in a car with doors..... ;) My D200 Power Wagon has one though.

Their might be an issue bolting it up to the crossmember as it is. Not sure though, haven't tried. If you do swap the output shaft make sure you get the correct year shaft for it. Their real hard to tell by looking but Mopar changed the spline angles where the front planetary slips on by a few degrees a couple times through the runs. Here's a chart showing how to identify them
727 OUtput shafts.jpg

That is too coincidental! I have a 73 dart that came with a truck 360 in it and the transmission is a yoke type like you are describing. The guy had a driveshaft made for it. I think it would have been cheaper and easier to find a car transmission to put in. I may do that and sell you this custom driveshaft and transmission as a spare for yours!

-
Back