Shortening 9 1/4 and mini tubs

-

dartjack

Reaction score
Has anyone out there shortened a 9 1/4 for a Dart with mini tubs? Can the axles be resplined and C clipped or should they be junked for new ones? C clip eliminators? Just trying to get info for the future of the Dart. I have two of them with posi's and a plain 8 3/4. Strength of the two? Any insight would be appreciated. Oh! Intended usage is street with a four speed. No slicks. Engine? 360 probably. Have hopes of a 505 somewhere in the future.

Thanks,
Jack

If you're spending the money to get a housing cut down, go and get a c body 8 3/4 and use that . you will probably be able to get the axles resplined and cut down.

I am building an 8 3/4 for my dart using a C body station wagon rear. As soon as I get it cleaned up it is going to Moser for narrowing and cutting & resplining on the stock axles. They charge $110 to narrow and $110 to cut and respline the axles. You can get it made to any width you like and will get the heavy duty brakes as an upgrade that way.

I must assume that the 9 1/4 is a forgotten axle. I would have thought otherwise since it is still in use in the trucks.

I am sure you could probably get the 9 1/4 housing shortened for about the same price as the operation is esentially the same. It does use C clip axles which you could probably have cut and resplined and a grove re-cut for the c clip or you could use some kind of c clip eliminator kit. Not sure if they are available for a 9 1/4. Another possibility would be to narrow it and use aftermaket 8 3/4 housing ends. Then you could use shortened and resplinded 8 3/4 axles with the green bearing kit, if budget is not as much of a concern for a bit more there are some nice aftermaket axles available. The only other issue is that gear choices with the 9 1/4 is a bit more limited and you don't get the easy gear change by swapping center sections. The 8 3/4 is certanly no quick change rear end but it can be done pretty easily in under an hour in the driveway.

-
Back