shortening a rear axle?

-

CanadianGT

Reaction score
So a while back I got a Dana 60 for free. Here's the catch it was in an old 68 international so it's a semi floating 3/4 ton axle. the backing plates on the housing are a little over 53" face to face. I can get a 52" overall length cutting them off. From what I've read an abody rear is a little over 51" at the backing plates. I'd like to shorten the rear slightly for a pair of 15x10 5.5" backspacing Bassett race wheels. So I was wondering what your suggestions on width would be?

Best way to go about it, get your wheel/tire combo, fit it and measure. Anything else is just a guess.

My Duster has a 50.5" mount to mount length and can use 15x10's with 4.5-5.5 bs wheel.

my bare 8.75 housing is 52.5"...books show 52 5/8...so people run 10" rims with 7.5 backspace on this combo...so if u want 5.5 back space i think u would want your bare housing to be around 48.5"...like said above, if u know what wheels u want, get them and tires first and go from there...make sure u find out the proper offset for the dana and see if u have enough axle tube on the long side to get it right :)

-
Back