shorter fan clutch ?

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.25" long fan clutch, anyone know of something 2.75" long ? My fan blades are hitting the lower tank and locking the fan up.

I have a 3.25" long fan clutch, anyone know of something 2.75" long ? My fan blades are hitting the lower tank and locking the fan up.

Adam... I have pondered the same thing. I recently installed a Griffin radiator and found that my clutch fan would not work. The clutch would be a 1/4" from the radiator... not to comfortable about that with a $500 something radiator. I have March pulleys which are thicker than standard Mopar pulleys but that is only a total of 3/16" thicker. My fan clutch has always been 1/2" from the radiator with everything stock (rad and pulleys). Not really comfortable with that either but it never touched the radiator.

What I had to do was run a fan with no clutch in which I really didn't want to do but I had no other option UNLESS I called Flexalite (or any other clutch company) and find out what is available that is shorter like you mentioned. I never pursued it to the full degree but I bet if you made some calls you might luck up. If you find a shorter one let me know.

I have considered one option but found out that it would be a waste of time. That was to ground off the fins on the clutch but noticed the the center spring on the clutch would still stick out the same distance as the fins. The non thermal clutches seem the best route also because they (the ones I've seen) don't have the fins. I still want the clutch option but never took it any further than that. I guess I loose that little bit of horse power because the fan is turning all of the time but I'm just a cruiser mostly anyhow. Those clutches aren't cheap either. Good topic... I was going to start a thread about this awhile back but never did.

The Clutch its self actually clears the radiator. Its close maybe a 1/4" but it clears. The problem Im having is that the blade hit the lip on the lower tank.

I found a number for a Hayden Clutch, 2706 is 2.75" long.

The Clutch its self actually clears the radiator. Its close maybe a 1/4" but it clears. The problem Im having is that the blade hit the lip on the lower tank.

I found a number for a Hayden Clutch, 2706 is 2.75" long.

1/4" huh? You have more guts than I do.. lol I've seen threads stating that the clutch being that close to the radiator that it wouldn't operate correctly. I don't know why it wouldn't but that's what I have read.

I was thinking that if you found a shorter clutch that the fan would move back toward the motor therefore giving you the clearance you need.

Some fans I've noticed have lips turned out toward the radiator and some don't. If you found a fan that has flat blades would that help?

I had the same problem with my Wizard radiator and March pulleys.

I ended up using a clutch from a mid 80's Jaquar, I'm pretty sure it is a Hayden, but I do not have the number or box for it anymore.

I think I got the lead on it from the moparts board.

I ended up using a clutch from a mid 80's Jaquar, I'm pretty sure it is a Hayden, but I do not have the number or box for it anymore.

Thats the one that I have too. You can find it from the Hayden
website. It works well. Oh and yes, it's a Jag replacement!

Thats the one that I have too. You can find it from the Hayden
website. It works well. Oh and yes, it's a Jag replacement!

Really!

See... that's I like hanging around here! LOL

Hayden #2765, That's what I used on my 67 with march pulley's with a 3 core rad and a flexlite 17" fan. I have approx 3/4" in front of clutch.

That makes 4 for the Hayden 2765. I have mine incorporated with a big block, there`s only about 1/4" free space between the clutch and radiator. Adam if the fan is hitting the radiator tank lip your fan blade may be too large in diameter.

Hayden #2765, That's what I used on my 67 with march pulley's with a 3 core rad and a flexlite 17" fan. I have approx 3/4" in front of clutch.

Thank you for the part number. I was looking up a Jaguar on Rockauto and it was a ACDelco clutch plus one I have never heard about.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-2765/

That makes 4 for the Hayden 2765. I have mine incorporated with a big block, there`s only about 1/4" free space between the clutch and radiator. Adam if the fan is hitting the radiator tank lip your fan blade may be too large in diameter.

With the shroud I'm using (stock Mopar type from Mancini racing) I had to drop down to a 17" fan. Might have got away with 17 1/2" but I like the clearance with the 17".

Research I did a year ago. Good luck buddy!:)
may need 5/8 to 3/4 reducer bushing?

HD Applications .75
2765 1.09 depth is thermal HD
2747 1.62

non thermal .63
1705 1.53
1706 1.75
1707 2.03

thermal .63
2706 1.75
2707 2.03

-