Shorty header install

-

Romulo Roderiques

Reaction score
Well folks. I've decided to use these cheap Hedman headers I have and the driver side looks like a PITA due to the intermediate shaft and great box being in the way. Would it be easier to disconnect the shaft from the steering box and by doing so, will it give me enough clearance to remove the old manifold and install the header in that side? Or will I have to unbolt the gear box from the car? I've got a 65 Dart with 273. Additionally, does anyone have instructions on how to remove the shaft from the gear box?

Removing exhaust manifold, drivers side, on an early "A" is quite the challenge....you need to remove the studs at each end of the manifold along with all the other bolts; remember these go into the cooling system so when pulled they will dump coolant unless you drain radiator. Pull the steering column, take the coupling off the box, remember there is no master spline so reassembly is tedious to get steering wheel straight. Jack the engine up.

this is reelection of doing this almost 20 years ago

Removing exhaust manifold, drivers side, on an early "A" is quite the challenge....you need to remove the studs at each end of the manifold along with all the other bolts; remember these go into the cooling system so when pulled they will dump coolant unless you drain radiator. Pull the steering column, take the coupling off the box, remember there is no master spline so reassembly is tedious to get steering wheel straight. Jack the engine up.

this is reelection of doing this almost 20 years ago
How does the coupling and shaft come off the box. Does the steering column need to come all the way out?

How does the coupling and shaft come off the box. Does the steering column need to come all the way out?

There is a round pin you need to drive out of the coupling, don't loose the pin cuz you will need it when you reassemble; gravity has a funny way of taking control just as the pin comes out. You may be able to pull column back out of your way to gain clearance, try it and see what happens.

Go to mymopar & download a FSM, it will be a great help you for disassembly & reassembly of you car.

-
Back