Shorty headers??

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anybody tried them on a A-body or B-body? My car is not a rat rod (which these headers are often referred as). The ones I'm looking at are the Hedman 78500 shorty headers. Do you have to use a mini starter? I've used full size headers before but on this project I don't want full size (under body) headers. Too much around the starter and steering arms.
The shorty headers, at least I would think, would easily outflow the best of factory exhaust manifolds?.?.?.

Ok, I run these headers, http://www.jegs.com/p/Hedman/Hedman-Street-Rod-Block-Hugger-Tight-Tubes-Headers/747464/10002/-1 Now that said, they do fit fine, and yes a mini starter is needed, we used a dodge diplomat starter that I picked up from local auto parts store, the starters gear housing needed to be cut down for fitment issues (was hitting flex plate) anyways the starter was cheap and the mod was simple with a air grinder done in a min. Next the collector bolts are a PAIN IN THE *** to get to on the passanger side sit right against the block, I have a slight exhaust leak currently because of this issue. We fabbed up some down pipes and have to take them to a exhaust shop to get one piece bent tubes to replace whats under the car.

The pipes don't hit the ground or run into the linkage like long tube header do, and these headers wont cost an arm and a leg like TTIs and the only like other 2 headers that FIT a bodys small blocks.

Hope this helps!

Great info, mopardrt! Just the info I was looking for.... Thanks

A guy in my local car club here in Australia ran these because there's no off-the-shelf headers for RHD cars.

He was pretty disappointed that they made absolutely no measurable improvement in performance over his cast iron 360 manifolds.

I ran these on my Duster due to the pancake effect of long tube headers. They bolted on great, no lifting the motor or removeal of center link, but the downtubes were definately an artform to piece together. I took it to a local shop for the patch in of the downtubes, it took awhile and he used mandrel bends, but it looks great and everything runs above the centerlink. I also stripped and painted them myself with high temp paint, looks great still and sounds awesome. I also used a mini starter from a 92 Dakota, fits great and no modifications. Spend some extra cash and buy some Remflex gaskets all around they work awesome. I too had an exhaust leak right away on the collector, changed it out with remflex. The material they use is 10x better!! FYI

I'm using them in a 69 Dart based brazilian Dodge, with a mini-starter. I'm not using the reductors that came with the headers, but did all tubes in 2,5" beginin in the header's exit - this caused a little pain to install them. I think they souds good, nice performance and I haven't any problem with ground clearence - very critical where I live. Thinking in buy another set to my Dart.

Check out sanderson,my bro inlaw runs them on his S10 /383 stroker.They make what looks like a midlength header for A bodies,no header gaskets needed either.I was skeptical but my BIL has no leaks and nice quaility too.

I have a friend with a 5300 pound Grand Fury wagon with the Hedman shorties. Stock bore and stroke 440. He runs 8.40s in the eighth mile and 12.70s in the quarter mile. They work pretty good.

sanderson has made a dd8 for 63-66 a bodies not in catalog but available.talked to rep at Kalamazoo this month said they have sold about 35 sets ,and where mocked up in shop on a car .price was 305 or 355 painted. has anyone used those yet ?

5300 lbs?

5300 pounds. Its nickname is 5300.

This is it. He had to end up putting two extra mufflers on it because it sounded so nasty nobody would run him at the strip. lol It has 4 mufflers on it in the video and still does.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCZvyAYb6G8"]"5300" Plymouth Fury Wagon 440 - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry I should be more specific, There's nothing off-the-shelf for a pre-1968 small block RHD A-body mopar.

Saying that out loud....I can see why the market might be kinda niche.

Rusty, that sounds pretty radical. Do you know the cam specs?

Must be a stout combination to pull times like that with such a hefty kurb weight.

-
Back