shorty truck headers for tight fit with power steering

-

dustadude

Reaction score
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9045

I was wondering if anyone has tried these and knew how they fit a 360 LA engine with power steering? The issue I'm having is that the only thing that fits so far that I've got is a stock 318 manifold, but the flow will be severely hampered. I've got a 360 with ported j heads, 340 cam, edelbrock intake and tq up top. I used to have long tube headers but they were just too much of a pain.

Yes. It has been tried. They don't fit.

Headers are a pain,, ??

Whiners...

How often do you take them on/off,, weekly,, monthly,, annually,, come on folks,, its 3 nuts/bolts to drop the steering gear,, you make it sound like you gotta spend a career pulling the engine for gawds sake,, ****,, it takes 10 mins, max to MOVE a headers IF you even have to..

You shoulda been around when headers were the norm,.. sheesh ... jmo..

How often can you put $350 into any perf part,, ( headers that fit),, and gain 10% h/p..

If your cars not slammed,, $159 Summit headers will gain the same h/p..

What's the next generation gonna say..??

"Ewww .. it's got a throttle cable "..

Rant over,, lol

Wow, thanks for the helpful comments guys, I'll be sure to take a look at tti to see what they offer. I honestly don't care about the hp gains, I just want a drive-able, easy to maintain car. Yes, one that isn't a pain to change out the starter or that I have to pull my steering gear for. Thank you for the comments and help. Now that you mention it, I really don't like throttle cable either.....

If you dont have power steering, the 340 manifolds will fit with very slight mods. Sometimes no mods at all.

I have 340 manifolds from a 73 (E or B body, not sure which) on one of my dusters right now, and it has power steering. No work to the manifold, just cut a small area from the lip of the flange on the head pipe. Nothing to it...

Couple of pictures of how they fit. I've since driven it and all......

Attachments

• manifold.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 369
  • manifold 2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 365
I have 340 manifolds from a 73 (E or B body, not sure which) on one of my dusters right now, and it has power steering. No work to the manifold, just cut a small area from the lip of the flange on the head pipe. Nothing to it...

I was referring to the early cars.

Ya I had the same manifold and tried to get it to fit but it wouldn't fit on my duster with the power steering. I got a pair of 318 manifolds that fit for $50 and just tried porting them out as much as possible. At this point I just want to get the dang thing driving, and this was the last big hurdle holding me up so far

I have to laugh that evil laugh whenever someone mentions headers and what it takes to run them or remove a starter. :D

It used to be called the "Passengers side" and the "Drivers side", but ever since I put headers on I call them "The passengers side and "The dark side".
It takes some work and a compromise or two about routing and such, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

A mini starter and Remflex gaskets, a ding or two in a tube or two for clearance and never one problem since. (I hated dinging the tube for oversized torsion bar clearance.) but it had to be done to run em.
With the mini starter there isn't a problem there either any longer.

Many, including myself, have installed them and run them on many A-bodies. It's just not the installation, but more or less if the project doesn't really need them, there is really no sense to install them. A couple of reasons folks choose not to run them: Rust, gaskets leak, create heat under the hood, pain of fitment and installation, ground clearance, and I'm sure I'm missing some things. If your concern is mostly lowering the E.T., it is a must and it's cheap. But if somebody wants a 13 second "mostly street car", manifolds are more than sufficient.

If you have the 360 engine in a 67 and up A body then this set of manifolds will work better than any other cast iron manifolds you can buy!!

Unless you're running something in the 450 HP range with lots of high RPMs. In the second pic you can see the difference between a 318 exhaust manifold outlet and the 360 magnum (after I have machined it).
Treblig

Attachments

• DSC03989.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC03389.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 274
-
Back