Should car still run on alternator with ground terminal off battery?

-
Allow me to explain. "Wrongformation" such as this is WHY and HOW "internet legends" become established, maintain, and become "believed." It's how they continue to "be."

Never, ever, anyplace, will you have ever been taught, read about, or seen published, in any sort of mechanics training manual, service manual, service bulletin, or any other legitimate automotive service material, NO place will you ever see this posted as some sort of legitimate recommended test of a system.

I would LOVE to find a way to bury this useless old wives tale. In short it is NOT a test as I mentioned earlier, and could very well damage modern electronics.

sam-jackson.jpg

Dam i didnt realize Alternators brought out the worst in people this thread got heated.

Dam i didnt realize Alternators brought out the worst in people this thread got heated.
It's not the alternators, it's the inherent need of some to prove they are right and that others are wrong. "Can't we all just get along?" and help each other?
I thought that this site was all about that!

Just going by what I was taught. when it comes to the old stuff. I know nothing about the new stuff & your right I did not read fair enough. I have done this type of test many many times. So much for putting in my two cents. It will never happen again

It's not the alternators, it's the inherent need of some to prove they are right and that others are wrong. "Can't we all just get along?" and help each other?
I thought that this site was all about that!

For me it is only to provide accurate information. Some of these pre INTERNET urban legends die hard the truth is removing battery cables with the engine running can and will damage electrical and electronic parts. I always tell people read whats on the INTERNET but check it in multiple sources before you take it as fact and even then be careful. Most likely this legend started in the pre alternator days when they still had generators on cars and electrical systems were simple.

Brian

This site does a good job, and I hate to see people get their fur up. But the simplified testing that bobg450 posted is not always sufficient. There are 2 types of field setups in the Mopar world, and in the single filed wire case, 'some voltage' is a 1-3 volts or so volts, and in the 2 field wire case, it is up close to 12 volts. So if someone measures near 12 volts on a single field wire system, they could conclude that it has 'some voltage' and the regulator is OK, but in reality it could be either OK, OR the regulator could be bad and causing a system overcharge.

So, the objection is that the simplified procedure is not enough. It does it matter that I have a Masters Degree in Engineering..... if I presented the simplified procedure, it could lead to misdiagnosis, and if you are trying to help people get to the right result 90%+ of the time, the procedure has to be more complete.

As for the removing the battery lead thing, perhaps it is worth mentioning that a likely problem that can result is a blown or damaged regulator. This occurance is less common on the Mopar system, but it was a very normal result with the Ford alternator system in the 60's and 70's.....BTDT!! That is why I would never recommend it.

-
Back