Should I be pissed that it's not an 8 3/4?

-

Jimmy

74 Swinger
Reaction score
So when I bought my dart 2 1/2 months ago I didn't know a damned thing about Mopar, A-Bodies, Sure grips. I just really like Darts. So the guy I bought it from was a nice enough guy, and to me at the time seemed like a genius on the subject of 74 Swingers, so when he said that it was a 8 3/4 Sure grip as advertised, I believed him.

I have had the dart on soft packed gravel and have not wanted to put it up on stands untill I got solid earth under it, now that I have, it turns out to be 8 1/4 sure grip. I planned on using this for drag racing, and while I know it's up to the challenge having an 8 3/4 was a big part of the reason I didn't haggle on the price. So should I be pissed? I think it was an honest mistake on his part, but it still isn't what I purchased.:bs:

What would you do?

IMG_0702.JPG

Well he maybe made an honest mistake. It happens, but he should have checked or maybe he just didn't know. Or flat out lied like the guy I got my car from. Lol

The guy he bought it from could have told him that, and he's been under that impression. Happens all the time.

I dont even know how to tell the difference. I dont race, so it doesnt matter to me.

As a '74 it's likely the original axle. He probably just assumed it was an 8 3/4 or doesn't know what one looks like.

Don't trash that axle, it's good for 4.5" bolt circle swaps in low hp drivers.

As a '74 it's likely the original axle. He probably just assumed it was an 8 3/4 or doesn't know what one looks like.

Don't trash that axle, it's good for 4.5" bolt circle swaps in low hp drivers.
so u mean replace it now instead of wrecking it for anyone else at the track? Ya probably a good idea, just figured it was the ONE thing on the car I didn't need to upgrade. Since the 8 1/4 was the stock for 73, 74 it makes sense, but he said he had done work on the bottom end and the case looks brand new. Has it been too long or should I cry foul? I mean I might get a rebate, but I feel dumb for taking so long to check it.

..........Its easy to get taken by a smoothe talker.........its usually buyer beware......I would go back, especially since he lied to u.....why it took so long is that u believed him and never had any reason to disbelieve him.....U wouldnt intentionally screw any1, so u thought no 1 would screw u...........kim.....

Your next move should be a B or C body 8 3/4 in my opinion, preferably the C body, for the bigger brakes and it's cheaper. Even if you want to stay stock wheelwells and rearend width, or mini tub, you can have the housing and axles cut to whatever dimension you want for pretty cheap - probably cheaper than buying an A-body 8 3/4.

..........Its easy to get taken by a smoothe talker.........its usually buyer beware......I would go back, especially since he lied to u.....why it took so long is that u believed him and never had any reason to disbelieve him.....U wouldnt intentionally screw any1, so u thought no 1 would screw u...........kim.....

Ya I would at least contact him and confront him about it. If he's a decent person he will admit the mistake and try to make it right. Maybe he even has an 8 3/4 sitting around?

The 8.25 rear end is no slouch so whether you replace it or not is going to be answered by what your horsepower plans are. There are lots of A-bodies running deep into the 12's that run regularly for years with an 8.25. It was the heavy duty replacement for the 8.75 starting in 73 in A-bodies.

If you are building a stock displacement small block of 500 HP or less and plan to run it through an automatic the 8.25 will do just fine as long as you rebuild it with quality parts (including axles and a cast back cover). If you plan to run a manual with slicks then 450 should be the limit. A big block would have to be limited to 400 or less for the 8.25 to survive.

That rear end is likely stock to the car and is over 35 years old with who knows what kind of abuse and negelect. Don't rebuild it and it could break on your first outing but that could be said for any rear end.

I agree The 8 1/4 is a good rear end, is it a sure grip ??
I ran 7.50 class in a 83 dodge truck with a 3100 stall converter in a 727 trans for three hard hitting years at our 1/8 mile track and never had a problem with it.

As usual, its "Buyer Beware".

Whether he told the truth or not is irrelevant at this point. Its up to you to do your homework before you buy anything. You didnt know what you were buying, its possible he didnt know what he was selling.

I have bought things that were not as they were represented. Ultimately, it was my fault for taking someones word for it, and being too trusting.

At this point, you dont have any legal grounds to stand on, and your chance of getting anything back are pretty slim. Chalk it up to experience, and move on.

I agree with jeryst. Even though you may be pissed, you wont be the first or last that has purchased something and later found out it was not what you thought. That's where the expression "learning from your mistakes" comes from, so considered yourself more learned.

Grant

an 8 1/4 is plenty strong and it has big bolt axles, with a sure grip I doubt you will break it any time soon, still not an 8 3/4 which is stronger and worth a few hundred $$$ more, if you feel you still got a good deal on the car I would not worry about it, but if you paid more because it was supposed to have an 8 3/4 rear I would go talk to the seller

Could have been an honest mistake could have been the seller just lied..been there myself..if you plan on putting any kind of real power in front of your rear axle go with a 8 3/4 in an a-body/auto..remember 8 1/4's came along after ma mopar stop making real power..

I talked it over with the seller, I really don't think he meant to misguide me, I think he himself was confused. When I bought the car, he threw in a 360 and an engine rebuild kit, after the price had been agreed on. After discussing it with him I really don't feel ripped off, just annoyed that I didn't check it out sooner.

Here's where it gets bizarre, it has a 8 1/4 10 bolt cover but the case is stamped 2852882 which is a 8 3/4 Housing number (70-74 Challenger, Barracuda). I'm pretty confused, I just want to pick up some gears but I don't want to get the wrong ones.

i wouldnt be mad at him. you need to know what you are buying, crawling all around the car when you look at it. you cant take anyones word for it. just use it as a learning lesson. there are guys out there looking for 8 1/4's maybe you can sell it to put money towards your 8 3/4. if you get a stock 8 3/4 though, you are going to need to switch it to big bolt pattern to match your front.

-
Back