Should I buy it? (66 New Yorker)

-

gumper

Reaction score
I've been watching this 1966 New Yorker 2 door 440 car for awhile, and it looks like it could be a cool ride for a good deal. Anyone have thoughts?
1966 Chrysler New Yorker 440 2dr
I've been casually looking for a cruiser that I can drive to work without feeling bad. It looks like it's in good shape for the price. It's an hour from me, so I thought I'd go check it out depending on what the consensus is on this thread. I'd bring the front end back up a bit and ditch those skirts.

most folks have thoughts on about every subject...but the fact of the matter boils down to a single point...do you like it and want it....if so.....then get it..if public opinion is a factor of consideration...then I must question the why of ownership...I own a number of cars many would pass by without so much a second glance...it is all on what YOU like and want

Another Hell No. You buy that car, and it's yours forever. If you parted it, the only useful items is the engine and trans. It will eat a ton of fuel since it is really heavy.

If that Nice Mopar was near my home at that price it would be here on the hill with me for sure.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Nice finds like that does not show up for sale around my area :BangHead:

Where you gonna get parts for it? Nuff said.

I agree to some extent about parts if you referring to body and trim items. Mechanicals are available daily. There are tons of old Mopars out there that you cannot seem to find parts for but yet these cars are listed here by their proud owners as they strive to bring them alive and dress them up for the prom. My latest, the 61 Lancer is such a body design...love it or hate if you will and I know in many areas of working the car it will be a challenge to find the parts. Many parts will be saved through a bit of alternate engineering say where a trim item cast stud or fastener will be broken and ultimately I will drill out and tap and new stud/screw installed. Most builders will rise to the challenge and soldier ahead...others will buy only cars that the entire car can be bought through reproduction parts and just bolt together.

^^ That is part of having a classic car, I happen to have 2 66 model year mopars one year cars with lots of parts that only work / come from that single year. Yes it makes some things more difficult but that is part of the enjoyment and something not everyone has.

Last edited:
Finding body parts wouldn't be easy. Drivetrain and suspension stuff is readily available still. Depends on if I wanted to keep it factory original, which I never have with any car. Still unsure if I want to spend the money on it. Hate to see an old mopar big block car not getting loved.

only you can make the call.....many times I tell folks that if your mind's eye cannot see the finished project in 15 seconds of looking at it..time to move along..your heart is not into this..where your heart is absence..the money and time will leave a bad taste in your mouth. Think of a car you really would like to own..go look at a few examples...come back to this..if it still excites you...then you may have found your next toy...

Finding body parts wouldn't be easy. Drivetrain and suspension stuff is readily available still. Depends on if I wanted to keep it factory original, which I never have with any car. Still unsure if I want to spend the money on it. Hate to see an old mopar big block car not getting loved.

I completely get what you're sayin and let me just say it's a good thing we don't have the money, because we sure as HELL have the room. I'd be draggin stuff home all the time. Get the thing if you want it. I was just trying to point out the huge problem you WILL have regarding body, trim and interior. Good luck with it and keep us posted if you do get it.

Not a lot of money in that investment. Buy, drive it, as long as you like it! Around here a running 440 is good for about 800 bucks, and a shifting big block 727 is good for another 200. Then, the dual snorkel air cleaner should do ya another 100. If the 8 3/4 rear is quiet on the road, the center section alone should be another 75-100. I don't think if ya bought it for 1500 cash you could loose. No way your stuck with it. Motor, tranny, air cleaner, 15 inch steelies, and a ton of interior parts on ebay would certainly get ya your money back.

Just an FYI...those "I don't live local to the car...had to move away, blah, blah blah" CL posts often are scams. It's the reason they're not readily available to show the car. Be cautious. I think it's a cool car...for little investment. Worth exploring.

I also think that motor with those manifolds drops into a A-body..... :realcrazy:

Still unsure if I want to spend the money on it. Hate to see an old mopar big block car not getting loved.

I can relate to wanting to buy an Mopar because you feel sorry for it, when you're not rolling in money to be able to just do it...the better decision is to pass on it (been there done that.)

I also think that motor with those manifolds drops into a A-body..... :realcrazy:
That's just madness.

Going to wait until next week to see if he drops the price again then go look at it. I'd much rather have a 4 speed mopar of any year or model, but they just don't pop up. $1500 would also make my race car faster.

O yes you should buy it. 2 door barges are rarer then the more door barges. Smooth ride is an understatement. Had me a 65 newport two door. Another I wish I had kept.

The more I Google it and check out what it could be when done....the more I dig it. I'm half tempted to buy it out from under you....better get moving;-)

The more I Google it and check out what it could be when done....the more I dig it. I'm half tempted to buy it out from under you....better get moving;-)
I'm sure my significant other would greatly appreciate it if you did.

-
Back