Should i do it or not?

-

moturbopar

Reaction score
Ok Im not big on cross breeds, but I have a magnum headed 360 most of the way built and the parts to build a nice 904 transmission, What I also have is a roller 1988 merkur xr4ti! I know its a ford product (if you know what one is). Its a pretty nice car, but the engine out of it turbo 2.3 is going in my triumph spitfire. So what Im thinking is droping the 360 with a 904 or overdrive auto and a 76mm turbo, into the xr4ti. The car has road race suspension and is pretty clean, nice tires and interior. I was considering selling my 360 since I no longer have the barracuda, and buying a small block ford, the problem is I like Small block mopars much better. So have i lost my mind?:wack: or should I do it.:burnout:

since everyone hates the mere mention of putting a non-mopar engine in a mopar vehicle...I agree with southerneagle... DO IT!!!

:D

Do it! Do it! And take lots of picutes when you do because we all know:

:worthles:

The 360 Merkur (Ford Sierra) swap seems plausible, but I question violating your poor Spitfire with it's engine.

How bout putting the 360 with the turbo in the spitfire? That would be a brutal car for sure. Crossed up, sideways, guardrail to guardrail launches; the ability to boil the hides at 55. You may need to rename it a Triumph SPINTIRE. Do it! Then post lotsa vids!:burnout:

Unfurtunatly the 360 is too big, would make the car handle like crap. heck the 2.3 is pushing it! Looks as if the 360 with a rear sump truck pan will fit, with a slight relocation of the radiator. Exhaust is going to be interesting. As for the spitfire its going to be around 1850lbs and 325rwhp. so it should move pretty well with the 2.3.

Not giving up. Just dont have alot of time. I have 2 VW projects that i need to get done first. ^5 karmann ghia, and a 71 stupidbeetle for my son. After that the merkur then the spitfire. the spitfire is going to be a one off frame and alot of custom fabrication. It looks like the v8 will fit pretty nice in the merkur. Im thinking of selling my 904 parts and either going auto od or maybe picking up a 5spd tremec or something. does anyone know if there is a factorry bell housing that will allow a ford T-5 or tremec 5spd to bolt upto a SBM?
Thanks

I think something like a Lakewood "explosion proof" sheet metal bellhousing would work. Well, that and a drill.

Well it looks like most people around here wont have a problem with it. Im kinda excited about this. Now i need to figure out the cam for the 360, and what intake to use to modify for EFI. Thinking maybe a torker II since they are pretty low profile. and will fit under the hood.

looks like Im going to have to push the radiator forward 2 inches or if they make an electric water pump that will shorten the engine a couple inches. I think Im jsut going to build a couple log manifolds for the turbo, that way i can get everything to fit. Im also going to have to swap the rear diff, probably modify the rear frame cradle to fit an 8.8 out of a 90s tbird. Thinking of running a dodge A518 out of a 95 dodge pickup. So what gears? Im thinking 3.08 or 3.27 rear gears, and a 2500 stall converter. Car should weigh around 2900 lbs when done. Thinking about getting it setup for the 2013 silverstate classic.

-
Back