Should I Feel Bad

-

JimmyV

MOPAR!!
Reaction score
Hey Guys Just Curiousity Question

I Just Sold A Guy A 76 Dodge Dart Ok Condidtion Driver No Rust New Quarters..slant 6 Ran And Drove Great Craiger Ss Air Shocks Everything Worked The Only Problem Was It Had A Little Bit Of A Rod Knock The Guy Who Bought It Was Aware I Told Him He Heard It But When He Picked It Up He Told Me He Was Going To Drive It Home I Said Ok Should Be Fine..then He Tells Methat He Lives In Lewiston Id (we Where In Spokane Wa) Asked Me If I Thought It Would Make It? About 150 Mile Drive I Told Him I Wasntsure And To Take It Really Slow Dont Over Rev It Just Baby It Home Since The Rod Is Going....well He Called Me 45 Min Later He Had Made It 40 Miles Out Of Town And It Through The Rod!!!! I Feel Bad Should I??? I Offered To Make Him A Deal On A Small Block That I Got..should I Ever Bother Everybody Tells Me It Was Sold With Him Knowing And Its Not My Problem...what Do You Fellow Mopar Guys Think?? Let Me Know Open To Critacism

Well, I would probably give him a deal on the small block but he had to know the risk of driving a car like that. I am sure he thought that the little slant six was bullet proof.

Look, he knew about it before he left for a 150 mile drive in a car with a known bad motor. Feel bad for the dude, OK, but you don't owe him anything short of that.
Morally, I would have offered to pick him up and drive him to a hotel, but thats all.

George

Well I Offered To Come Down To Wear It Blew And Look At It And Make Sure Thats Acutally What It Was He Is New To Cars Younger Guy So It Could Have Been Anything He Just Said It Died On His Way Down There And When He Turns It Over It Just Clunks....but He Said He Was Just Going To Leave It There And Get It The Next Day

Hmm,yeh try to make sure the guy gets home safely, an give him
a good price on your sb like you said....

Thats what i think is right...

It is an unfortunate situation. As the seller of an "as is" vehicle, you owe him nothing. As an enthusiast, you want to help him, if you can. :eek:ops:

My personal slant 6 "rod knock" story is... It developed the knock going up a steep hill, but made it up the hill. About one mile later, being babied on level ground at 25 mph, it seized solid after 3 BIG KNOCKS. :pukeleft:

Do you know what his intentions are? Another /6? upgrade to V8? :dontknow:

he was trusting your expertise "new to cars younger guy" he said he was going to drive it home you said "OK should be fine" 15 miles with a rod knock sure 150 miles with a rod knock no way

He Bought It As A Project Going To Do A Small Block Swap Tub It Full Cage All That Stuff...but I Told Him It Should Be Ok But Thats A Long *** Trip..you Never Know..i Had A Suburban With A Rod Knock And Made It Pulling A Trailer 200 Miles You Just Never Know

ok so he was just trying to save the cost of a tow in that case "ya pays yer money ya takes yer chances"

Well He Said That He Was Going To Call Me Last Week To Come Get That Motor But He Hasnt Yet I Am Not Going To Push It Because I Really Hate To Get Rid Of It

I would think if the guy knew the problem you dont owe him anything. You didint try to hide anything. It does suck but it was going to happen anyway.

He knew it had a rod knock before he bought it.He then trys to drive it a 150 miles! You should feel bad because the Guy is a idiot.Driving it across town is one thing but a 150 miles with a rod knock what a idiot.

Jim

I know a freind that took out a '71 challenger 340 for a test drive before buying it , and the motor blew. Things happen not anybodies fualt. Help the way you think is right, and that will be OK.

I have to agree with the majority of the other posters in this thread. If you sold him a vehicle that he knew had an issue with the motor and he decided to try to drive it such a long distance, well that is on him. I do understand you feeling bad about his situation but he could have either asked you to store the vehicle until he could arrange a tow. Sucks that he broke down but you sold the vehicle "as is" and that's why you sold it "as is".

sounds like he must know something about cars or he would not have the big plans to swap motor & tub it

Yeah you feel bad, but he knew what he bought and I assume price reflected the condition. He was too cheap to rent a trailer to get a car that needed an engine and wanted to drive it 150 miles. His problem not yours

When I was young and stupid we use to flat tow our broken cars, heck it is only 110 miles to go, where is the chain? We towed a buddies Mustang about 45 miles with a chain back in the 70's from Indianapolis to his dad's farm in Milroy. We sure got good at flat towing

I don't think you owe him anything... both of you knew there was a problem and you told him you weren't sure that it would make it. Nope, you shouldn't feel bad about it in my opinion.

If you don't need the motor make him a deal and both of you come out, he is young and he will not forget that you helped him out. MOPAR Brothers have to stick together and help each other.

He knowingly bought a car with a rod knocking and then tried to drive it 150 miles!?! That's not your fault. I understand you wanting to help the young guy, but I think you did all you can.

That's why people use flat trailers to haul home their projects!!

I have a 87 Dakota with a 2.2, 5 speed that I traded for. Had a rod knock when I got it. So, I only drove it back and forth to work for awhile. Then had to go down to a junk yard to pick up some parts (50 miles 1 way) and chanced it. Started taking it on longer trips, but was usually unloaded so not a lot of stress on the engine. It had little power, so I didn't push it much over 60 at any given time. Drove it that way for over 5 years and around 28,000 miles. Had a spare engine in the garage for 4 of those years. Finally changed it out when it started going thru alot of oil and finally blew the head gasket. Still have under $700 in it, including the original trade. Thought about getting a newer truck when Cash for Clunkers came around, but figured I couldn't replace it for what I have in it. Plus, didn't want payments and higher insurance either. It's still trucking along. after 7 years.
So it's kind of a crapshoot. I wouldn't have thought it would've lasted 2 months like that, but I was very lucky!8)

-
Back