Should I Paint Exhaust?

-

BWDart

Reaction score
Got the new 2 1/2'' from Jegs today, $200 to my door complete from hedder to out back. It's not stainless should I paint it before install to make it last longer?
Thanks Bruce

typically paints will not last on exhaust. If you want it to last, you must use ceramics, it is also a great insulator to push the heat out the pipe instead of emanating off. We powder and ceramic coat, pm me for more info.

I have to agree with Boxer................

There are better quality paints out there than in years previous, but if you want it to last a good time and look nice, ceramic coating is great.

If you paint, you'll need a high heat self etching primer to really grab onto the steel............then proper prep for the finish coats of high heat...thin coats....new steel before self-etch I usually prep with 400 dry sanding and a wipe with lacquer thinner.

Good luck on whatever you do. 8)

I believe the kit is aluminized, therefore it should hold up pretty well. I prefer to paint my welds though, not sure if you are going to be welding or using the clamps.

I am very curious about this kit, I have been thinking about picking it up myself. Did you get the mufflers with it?? What motor do you plan to put this on?? Please keep me posted on the install and how it sounds and turns out when your done.

Thanks Bryan

Being that you are from Texas, I wouldn't be all that concerned about it, as long as you run the car long enough to get the exhaust system hot, that should take care of any condensation issues.
But you can get "high temp" aluminized paint that will help preserve it somewhat from the outside.

All the best.

Thanks for the input guys, the pipes do have a coating on them, so I'll install them this weekend. My current exhaust would fit inside this new set with room to spare!!!! Should breath much better.
I was amazed that everything was there Fed Ex sent it from KS to Fort Worth then to Chicago? then back to Fort Worth then to Austin, 70lb box was pretty tore up but the driver could barely speak English so I couldn't get anything out of him as to what to do if things were missing.
Bruce

I paint all new pipes before installing them. It lasts about 1 year before it breaks down. I figure its worth the 15 minutes and $5 for can of paint to clean and paint to extend the life a year or so.

The cat back system on my daily driver pickup is over a year old and was aluminized the VHT header paint I applied is still holding up and there is no sign of rust.

The shop that did my 3" exhaust used aluminized pipe,painted all the welds and installed stainless mufflers,the system still looks great 3 years later about once a year i polish the mufflers,and tti headers..and they STILL look nice...

Stainless exhaust is the way to go... I don't think the paint will stay on there very long.

This is an example of one of the high temp ceramic coatings Boxer was talking about. This is the "Performance Chrome" finish on some sbc shortie block huggers. Can aluminized paint compare looks- and warranty-wise??

-
Back