Should I replace torque convertor in my 71 318 Dart?

-

KCS

Reaction score
I have recently installed a purple camshaft with 268/272 duration and .450 lift as well as an Edelbrock 1406 carb, duel exhaust, and electronic ignition. The car is an original 318 automatic with factory gears and 7 1/4 rear end. I have been considering replacing the torque convertor to give it more start up pep. I plan on also changing out the gears and perhaps rear axle down the road. Will installing a higher stall convertor ( 2500?) make a significant difference? If so, what brand and stall do you recommend?

yeah you should,but then your gonna be asking rearend questions next....lol

If it was me, I'd change the axle first. What ratio is in there now?

A high stall converter, even just a 2500 stall unit will make a significant difference in how it runs. But like 273 I'd change out that puny rearend first. The 7-1/4 isn't a very strong rearend. Seen a lot of guys scatter them with no more power than you have. Putting in a high stall converter will strain it even more. Plus most of them had real tall gears. Look around and find yourself a 8-1/4 (you don't need a 8-3/4 at this point) with 3.21 or 3.55 gears and it'll not only strengthen your drivetrain but most likely make a significant difference in how it runs. The 8-1/4 rear is actually a pretty tough rearend so you could add the high stall converter and beef the engine output up more before you'd have any issues.

Yep, better rear end ratio first, it will be more bang for your buck, especially if you currently have something higher than 3:23's

Agreed. Save torque converter change for the time of trans service/rebuild.

If it was me, I'd change the axle first.

x6 on changing the axle first.

I ran a 68 barracuda with a 318 with 9.2 compression, stock 340 cam, stock 340 cast iron dual plane, a holley 600 vac secondary, and 2 1/4" dual exhaust. In 4 years I blew up three 7 1/4" axles.

When the left rear tire, drum, and axle assembly passed me on the shoulder of the highway while I was driving 55 MPH, I finally decided to upgrade the axle to 8 3/4". Never blew that one!

Those 7 1/4" axles can not handle much over a stock 318 2bbl.

3000 no less do the converter first. It will make more of a power gain you will feel. The gears will give it a quicker shift. All 340's came with a 3500 stall from the factory. we would use them in BB's The 340's stalled at 2800-3000 the BB's stalled at 3200 and higher.

Most every one thinks gears. Its the converter that wakes them up. Went from 323's to 355's to 391's and then 410's. Couldn't spin the factory spares. Put a cheap 3500 stall in and it turned the car into a rocket ship . Ended up going back to the 323's. This is just what I found.

You should get a converter that locks in total at 500 above where your cam starts to work. You will not be sorry for this advise. Choose your gear after you get the power to the differential.

Everyone does it different. I have the parts and found my way works for me.

Probably the reason they tell you what converter is needed with the cam so its installed with the motor.

I agree the converter change should come first, however, with that 7.25 back there, you're asking for trouble. I would do nothing until I could upgrade the rear axle to something stronger. Then change the converter. That way, you'll be much less likely to break anything.

-
Back