Show me your tach placement and ideas !

-

RPM

Superior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys !
I am FINALLY installing a standard Autometer Tach in my car.
I dont race it so it doesnt need to be in my face. Any one have pics of good placement ?
Heres my deal. Its going in a '74 duster.
I just need it ..well.. cuz ya need a tach for tuniing and well those high RPM shifts !
I dont like the cobbled up look of screwin it to the dash or the band clamp holding it on the column which blocks all the other guages.
My thoughts are under the dash, but it has to be far enough over to clear the ashtray so it puts it just past the hump towards the passenger side.
I can angle it in no prob, but is that wierd ?
The other thought is figuring out how to mount it to my Mega shifter housing.

Any ideas of how to keep a very clean look and still be functionable would be great !

-RPM

Steering Column...like to keep my eyes on the road/track when shifting. :burnout:

IMG_4075.jpg

Pat

FWIW....the current issue of Hot Rod has a tach comparison test. The Autometers came out well. Good choice.

No pics - description only.
Years ago I mounted the aftermarket tach in my old '69 340 Swinger to the driver's side sunvisor mount. The wires ran down inside the A-pillar cover.
I got stopped once and cited with a "fix-it" ticket with the cop claiming the tach obstructed my vision (it didn't). So I wired in a quick-disconnect plug, got the ticket signed off, pulled out of the police station parking lot, took the tach out of my glove compartment, plugged it back in and drove away. Never got bothered again.

-
Back