Show us your home made tools

-
This is a jig to use with a press?
Yes. There is a car that needs some structural repair, and this is to bend some 12 gauge sheet metal. Tired of vise and hammer, and this will give me better control.

I dont think it needs more than tacks. I have a small piece of angle iron welded under the V to prevent it from pushing apart. Its for stuff less than 1/8”
Answered my question, thanks. I was wondering about lateral movement, but you addressed it during the build. Nicely done.

I had and old screw driver that had a broken handle that had the correct hex welded to a piece of rod to spin the oil pump to prime the motor. I misplaced it and needed an alternative. I almost was ready to cut up my caulk gun as that would have worked, that's a good caulk gun; shame to cut it up. While at the hardware store picking up some spray paint...$6, long enough, no welding. Maybe since it's red, it will be easier to find next time I need it.

View attachment 1716152688
I removed the gear teeth of an old shaft then used an old distributor to turn it, but I also have the mixer shaft just don’t let it touch the bushing in block.

IMG_1748.jpeg

IMG_1747.jpeg

I wanted the mounting plate for my hyda-boost brakes coated[can't have raw aluminum], for I decided to take it apart. HA!.... It wasn't meant to be disassembled, and it looks like they may have had issues with one at some point[so much effort to make it not come apart]. It's assembled with a toothed nut, nuclear lock-tite, and a snap-ring just in case[plus no access with regular tools]. I had to make a socket to fit in the recess of the plate, and over the back of the hydraulic unit. We started with a 3/4-drive Proto ball-joint socket. After about an hour on the lathe and mill, I had a socket that would fit....it took a 3 foot adjustable wrench and some grunt to get it off. We did, and milled the free advertising off as I prepped the piece for powder.

1697924234796.png

1697924250502.png

1697924265068.png

Last edited:
Full of lead.. at least 70 yrs old and don’t ask me how I know..

View attachment 1716156586

View attachment 1716156587

View attachment 1716156588
What is it?
I wanted the mounting plate for my hyda-boost brakes coated[can't have raw aluminum], for I decided to take it apart. HA!.... It wasn't meant to be disassembled, and it looks like they may have had issues with one at some point[so much effort to make it not come apart]. It's assembled with a toothed nut, nuclear lock-tite, and a snap-ring just in case[plus no access with regular tools]. I had to make a socket to fit in the recess of the plate, and over the back of the hydraulic unit. We started with a 3/4-drive Proto ball-joint socket. After about an hour on the lathe and mill, I had a socket that would fit....it took a 3 foot adjustable wrench and some grunt to get it off. We did, and milled the free advertising off as I prepped the piece for powder.

View attachment 1716156590

View attachment 1716156591

View attachment 1716156592
Nicely done!

Not sure what to call it or what I originally made it for, but it's gotten a lot of use and a little bit shorter over the years. A long 3/8 pipe ripple and 3/8 brass cap. I use mainly for driving out races and bushings. I used the other day on some wheel bearing races.
Once the end gets buggered up I just trimm it off and carry on.
I used it a while back on some diffential bearing races, it's getting a little short and hard to grip so I'm going to make a new one for the next project

17256323213274085015169252581956.jpg

4$ vavle spring compressor Got the idea off of YouTube.
It could use some refining, but it works

20241011_120425.jpg

Making up a rig to water the extreamly dusty road out here after over a month with no rain, and no rain in foreseeable future.

275 gallon water storage tote tank, stub trailer, and 5' boom.

20241016_194056.jpg

20241016_141439.jpg

Doubled the size of the boom feed pipe, and drilled out the 3/8" drain holes to 1/2" for better flow.

20241016_141117.jpg

Here is what the road looked like last year after watering it by hand and dragging out 300 feet of 3/4" garden hose. I like the watering cart better and I can cover more distance up the road too.

Screenshot_20241016-194526_Gallery.jpg

They put down Calcium Chloride early in the Summer, but with no rain that does not work either. Needs some moisture to hold onto to keep the dust down.

Working pretty good all things considered, can do a 90° turn between the water cart and tow tractor for turning around (180°) in the middle of the road without having to stop and backup. Just keep on going as the water is flowing.

☆☆☆☆☆

-
Back