side cover incorrect?

-

grjammer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have an OD iron case/tail trans and I think the side cover or internals may not be correct as the 1/2 fork is not bent but throws the syncro so far it locks out and gets stuck from the keys popping out. they don't fully come out but syncro goes all the way to the 2nd gear face. casting number is C-99386 manf date fits with 4/27/76..
Is there any way to match correct casting/part numbers for these A833"s?

It's not been apart so the syncro slider shouldn't be on in the wrong direction. trans is at shop getting bearing removed so cant look at it atm.
any help on this would be appreciated!

Attachments

• side cover 001.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 169
One thing I can add is that on my 69 4 spd, there is one side cover bolt that is unique and will only go back in the original hole. Dunno if it applies to yours or not.

There's a couple of longer shoulder bolts, easy to locate to the thicker bosses on the side cover casting. I am buying both 1-2, 3-4 syncro hubs and sliders. should shift like a dream.

I have a OD trans It is a long shaft but the internals are the same. $150.00 Was out of a low milage truck and is complete. Has 70 up E and B tail shaft shifter mounts. Let me know if you need it. I also work on them. Steve

Thanks Steve, I will have all new sync's and sliders, gears are good. I just wonder about the side cover, I have the steel forks with just a small wear pattern, looks like they are both straight..after I assemble it on the bench I'm going to put a shifter on it and make sure it works well.

Received my new gears today, posting a pic of the 3-4 syncro hub...Does this look new? I think not, old one on left, "new" on right.

Attachments

• syncro.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 110
Checked with brewers and this step on the gear is normal, mawpar made them that way.

-
Back