Side draft carbs

-
SU (used on numerous English cars, also Volvos), Stromberg (Zenith-Strombergs conceptually similar to the SUs, used on numerous English cars and Volvos, not the downdraft Bendix-Stromberg units used on some Mopar engines as factory equipment), Hitachi (SU clones used on six-cylinder Datsuns)...

You can see a few different triple-sidedraft slant-6 intake manifolds here. Pretty sure I already sold all three of these. They all take SU, Hitachi, or Stromberg carbs.

Then there was the factory sidedraft carb setup: one Carter YH 1bbl (similar to the carb used in pairs on the turbo Corvair) mounted on a flange on the outboard driver's-side face of the intake manifold, where the EGR valve was on '73-up intakes. This was used on the Clark Cortez FWD motorhome of the mid '60s. A cover was bolted to the normal downdraft carb mounting pad. This cover accepted the intake end of the PCV valve hose, and it had a deflector sticking down into the middle of the plenum, in the flow path of the sidedraft carb, to prevent the middle cylinders running rich and the front and back ones running lean.

SlantSixDan,

You have been blinded by the Chevrolet gods......

The Turbo Corsa had only 1 turbo. However, it was good for 180 hp sucking thru a Carter YH sidedraft that was better suited to a lawnmower.
I had a 1965 Marina met. blue one.

TurboCorvair.jpg

Um…like…holy snot! I coulda sworn there were two of 'em. Maybe I was conflating a dual-carb setup marked by some aftermarket outfit or other in the '60s?

Um…like…holy snot! I coulda sworn there were two of 'em. Maybe I was conflating a dual-carb setup marked by some aftermarket outfit or other in the '60s?

Corvair had two 1 bbl downdraft carbs on the base motor. One on each bank. The "spyder" used the Carter YF sidedraft on the turbo, as shown. What many don't realize is there was no "boost control" as used today. Boost was regulated by turbo size, intake restriction (1 bbl carb), and the exhaust system design. By removeing the muffler, and installing a adapter with a 2bbl carb, boost could be raised from approx 7 psi to about 10 psi. My 65 Valiant 170 has a Corvair turbo with some mods to the compressor housing to allow for a "standard" 3 inch inlet. Even have the Corvair exhaust pipe.

PS: Cobwebs are in the way, but I think there was also a OEM four 1 bbl Corvair setup.
EDIT: just checked my book. 1965-1966, four 1 bbl carbs, 140hp at 5200 rpm

SU (used on numerous English cars, also Volvos), Stromberg (Zenith-Strombergs conceptually similar to the SUs, used on numerous English cars and Volvos, not the downdraft Bendix-Stromberg units used on some Mopar engines as factory equipment), Hitachi (SU clones used on six-cylinder Datsuns)...

You can see a few different triple-sidedraft slant-6 intake manifolds here. Pretty sure I already sold all three of these. They all take SU, Hitachi, or Stromberg carbs.

Then there was the factory sidedraft carb setup: one Carter YH 1bbl (similar to the carb used in pairs on the turbo Corvair) mounted on a flange on the outboard driver's-side face of the intake manifold, where the EGR valve was on '73-up intakes. This was used on the Clark Cortez FWD motorhome of the mid '60s. A cover was bolted to the normal downdraft carb mounting pad. This cover accepted the intake end of the PCV valve hose, and it had a deflector sticking down into the middle of the plenum, in the flow path of the sidedraft carb, to prevent the middle cylinders running rich and the front and back ones running lean.

Awesome stuff Dan! I would love to sit down and have a beer and chew the fat with you one day. You got some serious slant knowledge goin on.

Awesome stuff Dan! I would love to sit down and have a beer and chew the fat with you one day. You got some serious slant knowledge goin on.
Most of what I know about slants is knowledge that Dan either gave or passed on to me when I'd ask. The statement about the corvairs is the first time I've known him to be wrong, but it's Chevy knowledge, so it's not important.

early datsuns 240z's had the su's think it was in the 260's where they what to the mikuny and Hitachi...

-
Back