Sigh, some spoiled kids today. rant

-
Great Thread....

I went to an inner city pittsburgh high school, (poor) In the early 80's there were a few survivor muscle cars in the student lot. I drove a 1972 Jeepster Commando that I bought for $450. Total rust bucket. I loved "messing" with the few rich kids who had great late model sports car. One had a brand new 280ZX turbo (Dad owned a beer distributor). I would go out out at night with my Dad's car, a 1965 Plymouth Station Wagon. Got lots of laughs from the rich kids, until they saw my tail lights fade away.

It had a 440 dual quad cross ram set up! Man, I wish I still had that car.

JP

No problem, I understand your opinion.

I look at it this way. Their job right now is to get the best grades they can, stay out of trouble and to do their best in whatever sport or other school supported activity they choose.

If they were not each on 2 teams & getting good grades (easily a couple hours of homework each day & earning college credits in HS), believe me they would be working and paying more of thier bills or doing without a car all together. They spend anywhere from 2-5 hrs in the water depending on what part of the season it is. It is their choise to participate in sports. During the summers, they have jobs or lots of sitting lined up. I see this approach as helping them develop thier own strong work ethics to be successful in life.

well said............. 8)

I must confess, maybe I spoiled my kids. Bought each a new Honda Civic for their 18th birthday to head off to college in. My thoughts. I wanted something safe, cheap and reliable for them. Also, told them I never wanted to here the words "new car" out of them again, as the Honda should last them 15 years even if they abused it. Still have them, a 2001, 2003 and a 2005. Not one has ever been in the shop for anything other than regular maintenance. The '01 has 185K on it.

I'm in school currently, I'm a sophmore and I drive my 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger. It's not technically mine, it's my dad's car. The deal is: Graduation=Dart. He knows how to motivate me :read2::read2::read2:8). He bought it in 2003 for $1,800 and promised it to me in 2004. He knew I liked, I already loved his Falcon. Anyways, the best part is that it's mine to restore, and it needs it bad...

I'm frantically searching for a job, it's been a couple months now... I've done tons of research an it's all coming together, but I have no funds. Gonna keep the /6.

But there's a couple nice cars, like one girl drives an H3. There's a couple mustangs in our lot. Quite a few people drive cars less than a decade old. I think the oldest vehicle we have in our lot is mine, followed by an early 70's Ford F100, and a 1985 Cheverlet C10 with a 350 ( I've outrun it twice, both were my first time and probably my last for awhile). The rest of the cars are at least 11-20 years old. The recession hit North Carolina bad, we were furniture capitol for awhile. That's why my job search is so tough. My dad is barely keepin his head above water, and I need to take over the gas and insurance for my car soon. It could be awhile.

Bottom line, I completley understand where you come from when you say kids are spoiled. I share the same opinion.:-D And i think I'm done bi#%@ing.

i'm in highschool right now and i know exactly what you mean. I know kids that their parents have bought them brand new pickups, no joke 100% true, brand new chevy silverados that the parents have just given to their kid. I bought my 74 scamp all by myself and hope to drive it all summer when it's nice (and for aslong as i can afford the gas lol) and it really feels pretty good knowing i worked really hard to earn that money to pay for that car instead of some kids that don't have to lift a finger and get whatever they want. plus it's no rice burner :snakeman:

I know it sounds like an old guy ranting, but to you guys still in high school, scratching to put gas in your rides,....hang in there! The skills you are learning now, like how to get things done with minimal resources, will serve you very well down the road!

When I hire young engineers now, at 85K+ per year, the primary thing I ask myself is "Does thing guy have what it takes to take a project through to fruition?" Yes, the degree from a good school counts. The story of scratching your way to a cool ride, while going through school and working at WalleyWorld mean more to to me.

Look me up after you graduate from college, and I will hook you up!

JP

I graduated in 92 and I was the only guy with an old car (71 scamp). Most of the other kids had their parents cars or an old beat up pick-up. As far as the teachers only one teacher drove a new car and it was nothing to brag about(Mazda Miata) . My teachers would accually bring their cars around to the shop class to have me work on them during class because they could not afford to take them to a garage(or just too cheap).

lol, I'm in HS now. there's a couple of 2005-ish mustangs, numerous early 1990's Ford and chevy beater trucks, a couple of late 70's Chevy Malibu's and a lot of Foucus' and Caviqueers. Quickest car right now is a 1990's twin turbo Toyota, well for a few weeks more it will be. My dakota, which I did all of the work on with my dad will be the quickest soon. We are wrapping up the resto now lol

im in HS too, I drive my 02 Ram I bought and am making payments on ( it was only 5800 ) and I bought my duster for 3500 in jun 08, and I paid for 1500 of it out of pocket and the rest with a loan from the uncle. I work Four hours every day after school - back breaking custodial services ( sanitation engineer ) But theres tons of rich kid cars,lots of ricers and tuners, some are actually fast... the thing about it is almost nobody has jobs and everything is handed to them. I dont care much one way or the other, but I like havin my own stuff that I paid for. Even if my parents could afford to buy me a car it just wouldnt feel right... my dad still drives an 87 diplomat and my mom an 87 olds cutty 305.

I am now a senior but my sophmore year I purchased my first car 74 dart sport for $650 i got that money from working at little ceasers driving step dads 67 cougar. I wanted my own car (mopar) so i saved up and got it

that car sold for 2300 after i was done with it (plan was to work my way up)

then purchased the 72 that i have right now. I drive my 72 everyday and get looks here and there but crappy milage haha

Worked out a deal and worked on cars making profit when they sold and i purchased the 67 440 car this is my project car

i have paid for everyone my personal cars and worked really hard for them

right now im working three jobs to fund the 67 project and my gas that the 72 eats

Kids are very spoiled and take what they drive forgranted. They dont care what happens to the car thats given to them and they dont take care of it. Alot complain about their free car as well. All these things drive me up the wall cause i feel i have worked very hard to earn what i drive everyday. These same kids look down on the ones that worked for there car.

I spend alot of time in the auto class. the other day i was in tunning the carberator on the dart and a kid that knows nothing about the car comes up and starts talking trash and wanting to race for pinks in this chevy silverado that his dad bought him

it sure shut him up when right before i put on the new tires and roasted my old ones infront of auto (btw i have the coolest shop teacher who just sat there and watched rooting me on) of course we did it as safe as possible

Not only kids are spoiled these days but alot are very rude and mean. They dont care about anyone but themselves. It gets very old and makes me an angry person.

blah blah blah

Excellent work High Schoolers! Knowing what hard work is will go a long way towards being successful! You should be prowd! It will reward you in ways you might not know yet.

-
Back