Silver stripes on the grill or no?

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
It's 28 degrees outside right now so it's a hair cold to be replacing freeze plugs, so I thought I would get a consensus on this.

The grill used to be yellow (even inside the turn/park lights) so I repainted it satin black with chrome paint on the insides of the signals.
Don't freak out just yet as I didn't paint the outsides of the lenses with Mexican chrome.
That is what is called "Natural aluminum gloss" and it looks exactly like real aluminum and has a smooth shiny finish just like any other enamel gloss.
This is a photo edit of the black grill pasted in and I don't generally like a grill with horizontal lines between the signals, but it seems to look good on this one.
The wife (who's car this is) can't decide which she likes better.

Yes, no?

I'm leaning toward not doing it.

Attachments

• compare.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 193
looks good both ways but I'm a fan of an all black grill.

it's hard to beat the way mopar painted the grilles...i'm not a purist but you just about cant fix perfect!

mike bee

When I was deciding what to do with my grill, I bought a roll of pinstripe tape in the color I wanted & played with it until I found the look I was after....

When I was deciding what to do with my grill, I bought a roll of pinstripe tape in the color I wanted & played with it until I found the look I was after....

Yep, done that before too.
But that was before digital photos and editing programs were common.

Don't even have to go outside now, except to take the picture. :D
Plus it gives me something to work on at night to help make these decisions.

I did mine with the stripe. I should have painted behind it (on the fenders) black also. Then it would show up better. But it came out ok and I like it. Lots of masking!

Ted

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 181
I like the stripe as well, It would be good to see better how it affects the visual of the height. I expect the stripe would have an effect on that, but it's hard to tell at that angle.

Both look good... But I "Slightly" like the bottom one best...

Hey... You Asked!!!

Clif of Az.:coffee2:

gotta toss a twist in here - I like what DusTed74 did - how about 3 "stripes" with the middle one either red or orange...? JMTC :twisted:

My 72 grille is blacked out too and was thinking of doing the same thing as the bottom to my own. Looking at it, I think the bottom wins out by a small margin. Just adds a touch of the original grille look and a bit of 'pizazz' to just a plain blackout.

-
Back