Single Plane M1 P4452898

-

BlackBeauty

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Getting ready to modify the car a bit, looking to put the stock intake and carb aside, stock '68-340. The motor is getting torn down and put back together since I have the block out of the car. I found a P4452898 Single Plane Manifold, all bead blasted, like new. I'm thinking the car will only be set up to pull to perhaps low 6's, will this be a good manifold with a Holley 750 cfm and a purple shaft cam setup for the low 6's as well, or should I just get an Air Gap? Thanks, Don

How much stall do you have or is it a stick? Gear ratio?

It's the stock 727, I'm gonna put in a mild stall, perhaps 2400 rpm. Right now, stock gears 3.23 will bump it later.

The single plane would hurt you more than help on that setup. You need all the torque you can get. For a single plane to shine you need a 3500 stall and 4.10 gears. If you had a stroker you could fudge a little but torque is your friend. A good high rise dual plane or air gap dual plane will kick butt.

Yea, problem with this manifold is I can't find anything on it. The newer M1 (P4876334) now dis-continued is a 2500-6000 rpm Single Plane, I know I don't want a 3500-8500 rpm manifold, looking for something like the newer M1 or the Air Gap (Dual Plane) I suppose.

Weiand action plus... idle to 6000. New for 200 shipped to your door

Listen to the guys.
Put a duel plane on it.

Take 318willrun's offer and don't look back.

Hey Guys,

Getting ready to modify the car a bit, looking to put the stock intake and carb aside, stock '68-340. The motor is getting torn down and put back together since I have the block out of the car. I found a P4452898 Single Plane Manifold, all bead blasted, like new. I'm thinking the car will only be set up to pull to perhaps low 6's, will this be a good manifold with a Holley 750 cfm and a purple shaft cam setup for the low 6's as well, or should I just get an Air Gap? Thanks, Don
Maybe low 8's with a dual plane and 3500 stall and 4:10 gear

With the stall speed and gear you have there's no way I'd put a single plane on it. Like Mgunner said torque is your friend and that M1 isn't going to do much below 3500. I went through the learning curve in the 80's when I was young and learned the hard way a good dual plane is the way to go. Recently I had my 408 apart and was considering a single plane on it cause it has an abundance of torque but I conversed with 3 very successful engine builders and all 3 said keep the Air-gap on it since I don't plan on spinning it past 6200

Weiand action plus... idle to 6000. New for 200 shipped to your door

This. Great intake manifold to 6000+ top end, keep it a dual plane. 3000-3500 stall converter,3.91 -4.10-4.30 gears(and the camshaft /headwork to make it effective...) is single plane territory.

Thanks Everyone... I'll take the advice and let the M1 go. BTW: @Pettybludart, by low 6's I meant 6000 rpm not 6 secs. I'm just looking to set the car up to be fun on the street up to maybe 6200 rpm or so... Thanks everyone for the help, advice, Don

Thanks Everyone... I'll take the advice and let the M1 go. BTW: @Pettybludart, by low 6's I meant 6000 rpm not 6 secs. I'm just looking to set the car up to be fun on the street up to maybe 6200 rpm or so... Thanks everyone for the help, advice, Don

I think several of us thought you were talking 1/8th mile. I applaud everyone for not totally freaking or laughing to hard. Everyone here usually tries to be helpful without raining too hard on the parade.

I thought the 1/8 mile time as well but didn't know what that translates into for the 1/4 to start with and the way the post read didn't seem like he was interested in setting the house on fire.

Look for a Edelbrock RPM for $140-170 used.

What particular "purple shaft" cam do you have?

Thanks Steve, Yea that's what I did, bought an Edelbrock RPM. Waiting to get the info on the camshaft now, getting torn down and put back together. Thanks, Don

On my old 360 I lost 1.5 tenths by switching from an Eddy Airgap to an M1 single plane. No other changes. Same mph, but the quickest I could ever get it to run was 1.5 tenths slower than the best pass with the Airgap. The torque loss was also very noticeable during street driving. Going with the Airgap was a good choice, IMO.

-
Back